Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke impressions

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
@Forg … I dunno how old you are, BUT, new HR’s WERE a chick magnet ( as opposed to a fridge magnet) back in the day. :)
I would've thought so now, too? Surely more so than a 'fridge, regardless of how safe & reliable & comfortable & frugal that 'fridge is by comparison?

Wayyyyy more than I would spend. I want a wreck, not a rego'd car.
If you scratch the surface of most 40+yo rego'd cars, you'll find a wreck underneath pretty quickly ... :)

I've restored a number of cars over the years. I'd be looking at a bare shell starting point. The idea would be to fit the floor pan from a VT - VZ, if possible
What're the modern-day legalities surrounding that?

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Probably right. I've not even done the most basic research to check the dimensions. Given that seating three abreast was normal for an HR, the width might not be very different. Lengthwise would be another matter altogether. It sure would make for an intriguing update.

There is always his method

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I would've thought so now, too? Surely more so than a 'fridge, regardless of how safe & reliable & comfortable & frugal that 'fridge is by comparison?

If you scratch the surface of most 40+yo rego'd cars, you'll find a wreck underneath pretty quickly ... :)

What're the modern-day legalities surrounding that?

The problem with those 40 Yr oldies is the price. Even rusted out shells attract 4 figures. I've restored a Monaro from a bare shell over 4 years so it wouldn't be the first time.

Regarding legality, I imagine it would be perfectly OK with the appropriate engineering certificates. It's still legal to stuff V8's into early Holdens provided the body is strengthened. I'd only be using a stock 3.8 with auto. Checking the wheelbase, VT is 109.8 inches, HR was 108. Most of the difference would be forward of the firewall, which would be the cut-off point.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, my question was about the rules you'd need to meet to get that engineer's certificate; I don't think the rules have changed all that much in NSW since they introduced the solid set or rules in the early 90's (late 80's), as the federal rules now followed are pretty similar to the ones NSW implemented way-back-then ("NCOP" now I think?).

But I was wondering what you'd need to actually do. It couldn't be considered a "modified VT", because the bodywork wouldn't meet any of the safety-related ADR's; but I'm not sure how much you'd be allowed to replace the unibody structure & main underpinnings (suspension & mounts, chassis structure, engine mountings etc) of the HR with newer stuff before it would become an Individually Contstructed Vehicle ... and ICV's are a PITA to engineer, because you start having to meet pollutions regs of the year they're constructed & stuff like that.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
sadly the regular 186 in the Kingswood put the 6 in the VE omega to shame, all new models should be better in every aspect doesn't always happen though, just look at the VL vs VN.

Wow did I just read that right, you prefer a 186 red to an Alloytec? That's almost laughable, but each to their own. You must've had a diabolically bad, one-off dud of an Alloytec. Not saying the Allys are a great engine but the 186 red is ancient carburettor/points technology, with double digit kW count and 4500rpm redline, after all. I smell nostalgia.

And speaking of engines, the series 1 VN V6, while being less refined (and pretty ornery) compared to the RB30, was a better engine in most areas that count.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yeah, my question was about the rules you'd need to meet to get that engineer's certificate; I don't think the rules have changed all that much in NSW since they introduced the solid set or rules in the early 90's (late 80's), as the federal rules now followed are pretty similar to the ones NSW implemented way-back-then ("NCOP" now I think?).

But I was wondering what you'd need to actually do. It couldn't be considered a "modified VT", because the bodywork wouldn't meet any of the safety-related ADR's; but I'm not sure how much you'd be allowed to replace the unibody structure & main underpinnings (suspension & mounts, chassis structure, engine mountings etc) of the HR with newer stuff before it would become an Individually Contstructed Vehicle ... and ICV's are a PITA to engineer, because you start having to meet pollutions regs of the year they're constructed & stuff like that.
I'd probably be more concerned with having the engine installation checked and engine number altered. The alterations to floor and substructure wouldn't be apparent to most examiners these days as they would be more concerned with body/floor condition and structural integrity. Looking under an HR and seeing perfectly sound floors would probably register rather than the fact that the floor was totally different.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You can do many things to a car as long as you have it engineered.

If it strengthen or improves on the existing architecture and you follow your engineer to the letter and the work is of a high standard I can't see too many knock backs.

Some rust buckets have had almost all their sheet metal and structural channels replaced then re-registered.

When I fitted the 350 small block to my LX Torana, the engine fitment was the least of my problems, it was all the other work required to strengthen the car that took time, money and effort and the engineer made it known if I did exactly as he required he'd past it.

One of the jobs required the removal of the transmission tunnel and to graft in a larger one to fit the much bigger Toploader, the chassis rails where plated as were the suspension points and the transmission crossmember had a Ford section along with the exhaust cutouts welded in just to name a few mods required.

And that doesn't take into account the upgraded suspension for the additional weight and the braking system to pull her up.

I had a 3 inch dual exhaust fitted that actually went over the 9 inch diff axles which was a feat in itself as most people go under and then I had to make allowance for the drop tank and remove the forked throw out bearing setup and replace it with NASCAR shaft setup so I could keep the car as a manual.

Anything it possible if you get the right advice and follow your engineer.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd probably be more concerned with having the engine installation checked and engine number altered. The alterations to floor and substructure wouldn't be apparent to most examiners these days as they would be more concerned with body/floor condition and structural integrity. Looking under an HR and seeing perfectly sound floors would probably register rather than the fact that the floor was totally different.
I prolly misunderstood; I thought you were using as much of the floorpan so as to be using the VT suspension ... if it's the HR suspension then you're right, that's a repair to the body & I doubt anyone would batt an eyelid. :)

You can do many things to a car as long as you have it engineered.

If it strengthen or improves on the existing architecture and you follow your engineer to the letter and the work is of a high standard I can't see too many knock backs.
That's an "it depends" though, if you're effectively draping HR panels over a VT then you'll come up against all sorts of pedestrian & occupant safety rules which will stop it from happening. But I misunderstood what Calaber was suggesting, he wasn't actually going that far, he's effectively just replacing rusty near-flat panels with non-rusty near-flat panels ...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I prolly misunderstood; I thought you were using as much of the floorpan so as to be using the VT suspension ... if it's the HR suspension then you're right, that's a repair to the body & I doubt anyone would batt an eyelid. :)

That's an "it depends" though, if you're effectively draping HR panels over a VT then you'll come up against all sorts of pedestrian & occupant safety rules which will stop it from happening. But I misunderstood what Calaber was suggesting, he wasn't actually going that far, he's effectively just replacing rusty near-flat panels with non-rusty near-flat panels ...
Yes, I didn't make the idea clear. Firewall back only. To alter the front suspension isn't worth the trouble but the standard HR setup would still need a lot of work. Crossmember would need to be heavily modified to take the wide, front mounted sump pan, the standard steering would go and commodore unit installed. The HR lower control arm rear inner mounts would create a problem and the standard geometry is all wrong.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Look on Carsales. $20K will get you a pretty good looking one. Not a bad price for a $2800 car when new. Piece of cake.:)
...due to the rarity... my mum had a HR, one of those church-on-Sunday cars, that was inside a garage most of the time, and it still rusted out within 5 years!