Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf Headlight Adjustment!!!

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Both adjuster screws (out of focus)

Attachments

• 20200422_153349.jpg
    20200422_153349.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 373

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Requirements are specificed in the workshop service manual.

• remove snow, ice or mud from the vehicle
  • the vehicle must have a full tank of fuel
  • the vehicle must be on a level surface
  • the vehicle's center line must be at 90 degrees to, and 7.62m (25ft) from the front of the aiming screen
  • do not load any cargo in the vehicle
  • the vehicle must contain 1 person or 72.56kg (160 lbs) on the drivers seat (who are the fat americans kidding)
  • inflate the tires to the correct pressure
  • simulate the vehicle loads if the intended use of the vehicle is for haulinmg heavy loads or towing a teailer
  • rock the vehicle in order to stabilise the suspension
It ain't rocket science so if an underpaid, couldn't care less, apprentice can do it then anyone with a modicum of gray matter can do a better job at home.
It's not rocket science but the inspector uses a certain alingment device and thats what he goes off. He doesn't care if you read the manual he uses his device and thats it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The equipment exists and it's what inspection stations use
I've no doubt such equipment exists (since it's space efficient) and i'm not questioning their existance.

You said
Just to let you know propper adjustment needs to be carried out on a head light beam aligner. Failure to do so can make the car defectable...
I just don't believe that proper headlight aiming needs anything more special than some marking tape, a tape measure, flat level ground, flat wall and a bit of common sence (as is documented in the service manual).

Using a wall method may not be as speedy or space efficient as using commercial beam aming tool but the manual method will not yeild a poor result that causes the vehicle to be defectable on aiming machines.

Making it out to be complex seems to sound like your spruking the virtues of workshops over sensible DIY which is why i called BS on the need for aming machines.

You're free to have your views.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
It's not rocket science but the inspector uses a certain alingment device and thats what he goes off. He doesn't care if you read the manual he uses his device and thats it.

Beamsetter I think it's called (?) A large wheeled-around device (Guttman?) in a specific workshop area with planar floor marked out for variable car position, vehicle type, headlight aim and calibration. Definitely a lot more sophisticated and accurate than a DIY's greasy garage with Grot-o-Graphix marking tape, ruler and tape measure (and that constitutes accuracy ?)

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Just note that Holden VF/VF2 headlamps only have a vertical (up/down) adjustment as Holden saw fit not to provide any horizontal (left/right) adjustment being the tight arses they are :oops:

Turn the adjustment screw clockwise to raise the beam and counterclockwise to lower the beam.

You are right about GMH being tight arses. But my 2016 VF2 Calais has both vertical and horizontal adjustments. They are both visible on the top side of the headlight units - via two holes on the cross member in front of the engine.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
You are right about GMH being tight arses. But my 2016 VF2 Calais has both vertical and horizontal adjustments. They are both visible on the top side of the headlight units - via two holes on the cross member in front of the engine.

Are you sure these adjustments are for each main and high beam vertical adjustment?

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Are you sure these adjustments are for each main and high beam vertical adjustment?

Interesting question. I am sure that the adjustment screws I mentioned work only for the low beam. The high beam seems to be fixed relative to the low beam. Maybe the experts here can help with more info.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Interesting question. I am sure that the adjustment screws I mentioned work only for the low beam. The high beam seems to be fixed relative to the low beam. Maybe the experts here can help with more info.
High and low move together on VF1SS. Makes aiming a bit of a compromise.

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
Is it the up /down adjustment you're wanting. There should be a small screw driver slot facing upwards towards your bonnet.

Winding this will adjust the up/down movement of the focal point. Do this against a wall/garage door at night at a distance of about 5 metres. A little piece of tape on the wall/door for the original focal point then move it from there.
The up and down is to adductor left to right. I know cause I tried to adjust it

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
There are 2 adjustments on the vfll for the headlights. The top one is for left and right. The bottom one is for up and down.