Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf Headlight Adjustment!!!

Tom.T

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 commodore
Just note that Holden VF/VF2 headlamps only have a vertical (up/down) adjustment as Holden saw fit not to provide any horizontal (left/right) adjustment being the tight arses they are :oops:

Turn the adjustment screw clockwise to raise the beam and counterclockwise to lower the beam.
There is 2 adjustments one on top and the other on bottom on vfll

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There is 2 adjustments one on top and the other on bottom on vfll
I’ll have to check physically but unless the screws are accessible from the top it would be a PITA to adjust the headlamps should they have made the lower adjustment accessible from the bottom of the assembly...

Also, I did state the following later…

I got the info straight from the VF/WN Sedan, Ute, Sportswagon, Caprice, Lumina, HSV Workshop Service Repair Manual i have, it's in section <Body Systems> <Lighting> <Repair Instructions> <30. Hedlamp aiming (RHD)> where it states the following:

Note: Horizontal headlamp adjectment does not exist.

I didn't believe the manual so I quickly checked my Motorsport but only saw the one adjustment screw :eek:
Admittedly the workshop manual is for VF but it‘s clearly stated VF doesn’t have horizontal adjustment. Changing the specs in VFII would cause issues and highlight how odd Holdens product development is because smart VF owners should be looking to have the defective headlamp design rectified. Surely such wouldn’t open up that can of worms…

Does anyone have access to the online workshop manual for VFII and can take a PDF snippet of the headlight aiming section and post it here?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Does anyone have access to the online workshop manual for VFII and can take a PDF snippet of the headlight aiming section and post it here?
My 2016 VF2 SV6 Ute has both adjusters up/down, left/right, as I re-aimed them after an LED conversion. I'm not sure if my 2017 Redline Ute has both adjusters, I'll have a look.

Jdm178

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
For those that say there is no horizontal adjustment it’s pretty obvious to me that there is on the guard side of the headlight (bottom of this photo due to the angle) it even says H rIght next to it to let you know it’s the horizontal adjustment. The other obviously is the vertical both are part of the low beam housing assembly.
BB121BAE-DB61-4295-AE3F-2E2FEF2089CF.jpeg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The following genuine OEM headlamp assemblies also has what looks like two white adjusters
92285806.jpg

So yeah, that certainly looks like yours which you say has two adjustments but are you sure they are not vertical adjustment for the High beam and Low beam globes? Have you actually twiddled each with the car against a wall and seen that the projected low beam moves horizontally and vertically as expected?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I love Shane's argument here saying that all inspection stations across Australia have the alignment gear. I tried several places in Adelaide, auto electricians and others and no one had the proper gear. I wanted it spot on and the place I took it too ended up using a large cardboard box. I am yet to find a place in the Launceston area who has the gear either and we have several inspection stations and they don't seem to have the gear needed. I'd happily pay $30-$40 to have the 10 minute job done properly but the issue is finding a place with the gear, very few places have it..... I don't know if even anyone in Tasmania has it?

Jdm178

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Yep. I had to adjust after installing LEDs in the projectors. The one in the hole next to the guard moves horizontal. Tape on the wall and 15 full turns saw it move around 2 1/2 inches. For the vertical I found it worked opposite to what I have read. Anticlockwise (undoing a screw so to speak) raised the cut off although I only did this to 1cm difference, it definitely worked that way. I’m driving a VF2 Calais V for reference but I imagine all the headlights are the same.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep. I had to adjust after installing LEDs in the projectors. The one in the hole next to the guard moves horizontal. Tape on the wall and 15 full turns saw it move around 2 1/2 inches. For the vertical I found it worked opposite to what I have read. Anticlockwise (undoing a screw so to speak) raised the cut off although I only did this to 1cm difference, it definitely worked that way. I’m driving a VF2 Calais V for reference but I imagine all the headlights are the same.
Well there ya go… we have both horizontal and vertical adjustment on our low beams. Thanks for the heads up and clarification :cool:

Sad that the PDF of the Holden workshop manual is wrong :( Wonder how many more critical errors are hidden within :rolleyes:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Well there ya go… we have both horizontal and vertical adjustment on our low beams. Thanks for the heads up and clarification :cool:

Sad that the PDF of the Holden workshop manual is wrong :( Wonder how many more critical errors are hidden within :rolleyes:
Maybe GM let that version of the PDF loose on the internet for a reason? :D :D :D

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I can confirm this. I did these adjustments on my VF2 Calais V after moving to HID low beams