Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF HVAC design fault. Put up with it?

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Yeah OK ... didn't really think a useable solution would be that simple.
Seems that making it work a bit harder makes it behave better, though; even though it goes against the whole concept of 'climate control'.

Will check this out though as the weather gets hotter in a month or two. The system in mine often just feels like one that has lost gas. Then at other times it gets really cold so must be ok in that area.

Like I've mentioned, in the wife's car after a while the interior gets so cold that you want to crack a window down. Rarely happens with mine.

Might have to have a bit more of a fiddle with it from what others have said here.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Sorry there. I ment an in cabin temp sensor. (Not outdoor air temp sensor) my bad. For some reason where 99.99% of temperature related hvac systems (automotive and buildings) rely on a well placed in cabin temperature sensor, Holden decided fancy computer algorithms would replace the sensor

Yes that is the issue. It doesn't know what the temp is in the car. That's why it works better if car is started from a garage not left in the hot outdoors because it doesn't know how much to cool down. The VE had an int temp sensor.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
My calais V had a fault with one of the A/C pipes which was replaced under warranty. I got the impression that it was not uncommon as when I brought it to the attention of the service tech that the A/C was not as cold as it used to be he looks at the compressor and then put a temperature Gauge on the system and then found that it was not working properly. I noticed at the time there was a small oil like mark on the pipe where it joined the compressor.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Is manual mode just switching off the AC button and the auto disappears? Or do you adjust the fan manually too? Mine is still crap.

Just press the auto button on hvac control panel the orange light should go out, or adjust your fan speed manually should take in out of auto mode.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Just press the auto button on hvac control panel the orange light should go out, or adjust your fan speed manually should take in out of auto mode.

Then it isn't climate control. You may as well have a manual heater in the car and adjust if you are hot or cold. Last night AC was running on my car when set on 22. Was too cold. Had to switch off the AC button. Stupid car.

MarcoVFRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Then it isn't climate control. You may as well have a manual heater in the car and adjust if you are hot or cold. Last night AC was running on my car when set on 22. Was too cold. Had to switch off the AC button. Stupid car.

I use the air con manually now but most the time have it off as it is so ****

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
mine one i need to make sure the temp is under 20. as even i turn the AC off, it still blew out hot air when car in motion.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's actually normal for the AC to be running in this circumstance, in ANY car; but usually it'll mix enough heat in for the air coming outta the vents to be the right temperature. Except just after start-up when most HVAC systems will realise the coolant isn't hot enough to be able to heat the air, and so the blower fan will be off until the coolant heats-up. At least ... in most cars (including the 20yo+ Commodores already discussed in this thread!).

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6

Yes it is. I think some people don't fully understand what is meant by "climate control ac".
Manual mode will still work on trying to keep your cabin temp at the set temp your have set on your display, it just won't do things like auto change fan speed, and which vents the air will be directed out of.
The main problem is, some smart engineers think they have worked out the best way to get the cabin temp to the set temp the fastest, and stay consistent, with the programming on the system in auto mode.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Doesn't manual mode set the air coming outta the vents at 'about' the temp you've set, which of course isn't directly related to the temp in the car?