Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Redline Series 2 - Buying Tips

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Ive read a bit about piston slap/injectors/lifters etc on the ls3 engine,is it only on the vf2 non hsv cars or is it the hsv as well that has the issues?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Euro 5 regs basically killed off the HSV performance LS3's...
The Euro 5 spec 304kw LS3 feels soft and doughy compared to the Euro 4 317
Which kinda proves how much marketing there is in a power figure; given that 317kW measured the way HSV did it is basically the same as 304kW the way Holden measured it!

Ive read a bit about piston slap/injectors/lifters etc on the ls3 engine,is it only on the vf2 non hsv cars or is it the hsv as well that has the issues?
Would be interested to hear any knowledge on this; as my expectation is that the only differences were cam, tune & exhaust.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You forgot rockers... Basically just a characteristic of all Mexican built LS engines.
HSV had a batch of LS3's in 2010/11 that had soft cam lobes, quite a few engines were replaced under warranty.
They usually failed before the first service.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Which kinda proves how much marketing there is in a power figure; given that 317kW measured the way HSV did it is basically the same as 304kW the way Holden measured it!
Maybe my Magnum is down on power, as it doesn't feel anywhere near as strong as the Maloo felt when it was factory standard, especially down low.
Still has a great mid range and top end.
The only part of the driveline that the Magnum wins is the 6L80e programming.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Maybe my Magnum is down on power, as it doesn't feel anywhere near as strong as the Maloo felt when it was factory standard, especially down low.
Still has a great mid range and top end.
The only part of the driveline that the Magnum wins is the 6L80e programming.

I often think that with my Redline and Director. The Director seems to have more punch down low. The injector change on the Redline has made a difference but the Director feels a little different. Both same engines and transmissions also built the same year.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Well my car was a ex-fleet car, will report back in 3 years time as to whether I got a decent deal or had $10k+ in repairs like my old BMW lol

So far about 1 year in (and done over 15k kms) had injector issue (common problem) and one tensioner pulley failed (was making a metal rattling sound)...

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I often think that with my Redline and Director. The Director seems to have more punch down low. The injector change on the Redline has made a difference but the Director feels a little different. Both same engines and transmissions also built the same year.

I've come from a 16 Calais V wagon and I have a 17 Redline. Both autos but my Redline feels noticeably quicker. Not sure why.