Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 V8 Fuel Consumption

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Pretty sure it doesn't; pretty sure it detects pinging, it advances the timing until it detects pinging, and that is sooner on 91.

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
Higher performance engines like lsa r designed to run at higher compression ratios which equate to much higher temps/pressures in each cylinder : fuels with R.O.N of 98 or higher r designed to operate under these high t/p conditions as the fuel remains stable ( no spontaneous combustion ) so it results in precise timing for optimal combustion : but if u run 91 in these types of engines, the fuel is too unstable in the high t/p conditions present in these types of motors n this can or will cause uneven combustion of air/fuel mixtures resulting in that knocking/pinging noise that u hear : in the long term, continual use of 91 will result in long term engine damage : i wont use 91 in any of my bikes or cars thats for sure ☺

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
The only reason i ask is, i believe i would need to receive a fuel efficiency by using 98Ron of 14.2% that would mean getting around 11.5L/100Km's I do not believe this will be achievable driving the exact same way... I'm cheap skate I know but after crunching the numbers the extra cost of buying the better fuel doesn't add up. I will be save around $11 per tank of fuel if i use 91Ron. these figures are working of a 65L fill, with the difference of 16c/L from 91 to 98Ron.

So thats why i was asking apart form the Money savings what is the real difference apart from performance of the car which i don't think i would notice i'm not going to a race track. Is my engine going to blow or die in the next 5 to 7 yrs?

I will try 2 tanks worth of 98Ron see if i notice any performance difference to really justify the money savings.

Thanks guys my 2 cents worth lol

If you have any local United servo's, see if they have the e10 95ron fuel, and give it a go, I'm finding it gives me 95ron fuel economy, for the cheaper e10 price.
You'll have more chance of your motor blowing up from poor maintenance, than the fuel you put in it. (unless unlucky and get a dirty batch of fuel).

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Higher performance engines like lsa r designed to run at higher compression ratios which equate to much higher temps/pressures in each cylinder : fuels with R.O.N of 98 or higher r designed to operate under these high t/p conditions as the fuel remains stable ( no spontaneous combustion ) so it results in precise timing for optimal combustion : but if u run 91 in these types of engines, the fuel is too unstable in the high t/p conditions present in these types of motors n this can or will cause uneven combustion of air/fuel mixtures resulting in that knocking/pinging noise that u hear : in the long term, continual use of 91 will result in long term engine damage : i wont use 91 in any of my bikes or cars thats for sure ☺

Agree with that.
Would not run 91, or e10 in supercharged or turbo engine cars.

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
Agree with that.
Would not run 91, or e10 in supercharged or turbo engine cars.
Mate i wont run 91 in anything even my small run about : 98 makes it run way better even though that sort of motor doesnt need it n it keeps it alot cleaner as well but my choice i guess

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Talking of fuel consumption, i'm probably getting better consumption out of my VF11 (supercharged) than i was from the VF1 with nearly half the power

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Is that because your VF2 has been tuned & emissions ain't a thing?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
My HSV Gen-F2 GTS has averaged 16.5l/100kms over the first 3000kms of its life. Mostly city driving but not a lot of peak hour stop/start traffic.

j_davis_1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport edition
Pretty sure it doesn't; pretty sure it detects pinging, it advances the timing until it detects pinging, and that is sooner on 91.

Might be with LSA but not with LS3. I am quite sure that pinging will never occur in LS3 even if it's 91.