Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Brembo brake upgrade Vol. 2

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Only 2 of the front pads have brake pad wear indicator aka squealer...

For the front, are those indicators meant to be 'inside' (closer to the engine bay) or 'outside' in the calliper? Does it matter much ?

I am guessing on the inside of the rotor at the bottom...

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The pads are here.
Fronts come with shims...

I did a quick search about the arrows on the shims:

"The arrows on the anti-noise shim of Brembo brake pads indicate the disc rotational direction, which means they should be taken into account when fitting the pads inside the caliper body. You need to make sure the arrow is pointing in exactly the same direction in which the wheels revolve when the vehicle is in motion."

Yeah mine arrived today too. Same part numbers. Although my fronts are in a different box. They still have the tin shims but.

Just a few observations:
The chamfer on them is quite extreme. More than 1/3 of the face of the pad is lost at full depth, i.e. when new.
At 8mm, the depth of material on the fronts is less than some other brands I've used. Also, the metal wear indicator takes anothe 2.5 -3mm of the available pad material. Maybe it's the bean counter coming out in me? But 5 -5.5mm of usable material is a bit in the stingy side. Bite your tongue 5.0 ;) I'm more thinking about the area of the pad in contact with the rotor. Surly the fictional resistance and ability to dissipate heat would be greater without the chamfer? Although clamping force may be reduced?
The metal used for these indicators may be softer than the rotor, but I don't want those things gouging my rotors. I'm considering trimming a mm or so off the top.
That said, I am eager to get them on!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Only 2 of the front pads have brake pad wear indicator aka squealer...

For the front, are those indicators meant to be 'inside' (closer to the engine bay) or 'outside' in the calliper? Does it matter much ?

I am guessing on the inside of the rotor at the bottom...
They are a visual indicator too Ron. Outside, front and rear.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Yeah mine arrived today too. Same part numbers. Although my fronts are in a different box. They still have the tin shims but.

Just a few observations:
The chamfer on them is quite extreme. More than 1/3 of the face of the pad is lost at full depth, i.e. when new.
At 8mm, the depth of material on the fronts is less than some other brands I've used. Also, the metal wear indicator takes anothe 2.5 -3mm of the available pad material. Maybe it's the bean counter coming out in me? But 5 -5.5mm of usable material is a bit in the stingy side. Bite your tongue 5.0 ;) I'm more thinking about the area of the pad in contact with the rotor. Surly the fictional resistance and ability to dissipate heat would be greater without the chamfer? Although clamping force may be reduced?
The metal used for these indicators may be softer than the rotor, but I don't want those things gouging my rotors. I'm considering trimming a mm or so off the top.
That said, I am eager to get them on!

I was thinking the same.
Pretty substantial chamfers.
The stock pads that came with calipers did 25000km and had 8mm left on the front and 9mm at the back....so Remsa is on the thin side in terms of compound.

What pads do you have on the car now ?

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was thinking the same.
Pretty substantial chamfers.
The stock pads that came with caliber did 25000km and had 88mm left on the front and 9mm at the back....so Remsa is on the thin side in terms of compound.

What pads do you have on the car now?
From memory, I think I have QFM HPX on the front and Forza on the rear? Or vice versa lol.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
From memory, I think I have QFM HPX on the front and Forza on the rear? Or vice versa lol.

I'll see how I go with these. I have nothing to compare them to in this setup. At least they are cheap.

Will be interesting to see how you find them compared to your current pads..

Genuine ones would cost 4 times more... :) They don't seem to have chamfer at all..

They are easy to change so I have a feeling I might test other brands. I was looking into DBA XP as well..

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Comparison...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200501-203715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200501-203715_Gallery.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 20200501_203821.jpg
    20200501_203821.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 20200501_203854.jpg
    20200501_203854.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 251

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll see how I go with these. I have nothing to compare them to in this setup. At least they are cheap.

Will be interesting to see how you find them compared to your current pads..

Genuine ones would cost 4 times more... :) They don't seem to have chamfer at all..

They are easy to change so I have a feeling I might test other brands. I was looking into DBA XP as well..
I've used them on all 4 corners before. I reckon, without excelling in any area, they're a good all rounder.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What is the theory behind the chamfer ?