Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vf ss doesnt do burnouts? why?

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I agree. The only thing I don't like about my tune, is that tq management is reduced a bit too too much, to the point that the TC and ESP etc start coming on a little too late, if I feed the power on a bit too much in the wet, or nail it in the dry. I love the power, but, I prefer knowing when I put my foot down, the rears will not break traction, unless I intend for it to happen. Yet, my L77 is only making ~340-350rwhp. I love street machines and other powerful cars, always have. But, in my opinion, there is no place for the kind of unbridled power some members are quoting, being "used" on the streets. A blown Maloo I saw on the weekend is a prime example. It looked to me, that the guy had to slowly ease off the line at the lights, to avoid breaking into a cloud of smoke. I reckon with a rolling start the thing might well eat a W1. It was seriously quick (once moving). But, clearly it had no semblance of tq management. Anyone can brag about their driving prowess, or whatever. But, with all due respect, anyone who thinks they can control +600hp of turbo hit at the treads, is an accident waiting to happen.
Before I hand my Redline over to my Wife as her daily driver in August, I intend on taking it in for a re-tune to improve the tq management. The last thing I want to risk, or live with, is her planting her foot in the wet one day and wrapping herself, or my kids around a pole, or another innocent third party.
When I have my Motorsport tuned, I will also be stipulating that I want the factory safety features, including tq management, to work as good as they do in standard tune.
Bag away if you will.

Yep. Same reason I won't let my wife drive the SS.
The TC has totally gone to sleep, though the ESP does cut in when the back end steps out. Can't do that too many times as the thing then goes into limp mode if the ESP cuts in too many times

Pyrex

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
I dont drive like that on the street. with that much power you are speeding in less than 1 second. And as for drag racing , I have a low 10 second car, so why would I even bother. 99% of street cars would be a waste of time..
When did you run a low ten?
Big improvement over Racewars effort.
Must be one of the fastest turbo manuals in the country.??
Timeslip??

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
When did you run a low ten?
Big improvement over Racewars effort.
Must be one of the fastest turbo manuals in the country.??
Timeslip??
I heard via the Fawd forums the reason so many people go the auto is basically its faster. The ZF auto is a great box, so despite the fact manuals can hold a heap more power than the autos once the clutch has been changed, apparently if you are looking to go fast in a straight line (or corners :p) thing to bear in mind is that there are manual turbo falcons out there with over 700rwkw that could never beat a 500 rwkw auto.
So yeah, good work getting below mid 10s in a manual Fawd, usually more like fast NA Commie auto times.
Pretty effective for only six litres, eh?!

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You can dial it down in the Redline. There are actually 4 settings. The Redline too is programmed dofferent to the others. But the, mine's not standard. The tiners, in increasing output across the rev range have reduced the effectiveness of Holdens programmed in fun factor, by taking too much tq management out and not adjusting the other system parameters (e.g. for TC, yaw ctrl etc) to suit. Just a bit of a slack job by my tuners in that area I think.

Well there you go, thanks Cuda I've learned something new about the car as I thought you could only turn them on or off and there is the competition mode which I don't know how much extra control it allows the driver.

What are the 4 different settings and how do I access them?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Well there you go, thanks Cuda I've learned something new about the car as I thought you could only turn them on or off and there is the competition mode which I don't know how much extra control it allows the driver.

What are the 4 different settings and how do I access them?

Hey Panhead.
You may know this already?
1. Normal driving mode
2. One push of the magic button turns off TC.
3. Second push of the button also turns off stability control / ESP. Also tightens steering and changes steering ratio (i think?). This is performance mode.
4. Hold button down for a few seconds. Another light on the speedo illuminates and all gizmos are off.

The MSE has a dial on the console which does all that plus chsnges MRC settings and bi-modal.
Man, you should sell thst sweet looking Redline of yours and get your arse into a Magnum!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
s
Hey Panhead.
You may know this already?
1. Normal driving mode
2. One push of the magic button turns off TC.
3. Second push of the button also turns off stability control / ESP. Also tightens steering and changes steering ratio (i think?). This is performance mode.
4. Hold button down for a few seconds. Another light on the speedo illuminates and all gizmos are off.

The MSE has a dial on the console which does all that plus chsnges MRC settings and bi-modal.
Man, you should sell thst sweet looking Redline of yours and get your arse into a Magnum!

Yes I was aware of those modes, my comment was in reference to being able to incrementally increase or decrease the severity of both TC and ESP separately between on and off.

For example you could access two or three levels of available spin between on and off for TC and the same again for the amount of yaw available in ESP.

So you could have no TC and a little ESP or a little TC but no ESP or part of both and so on.

With the Redline it appears the only intermediate is ‘Competition Driving Mode’ which is better than nothing but a bit more leeway for driver input wouldn’t have hurt.

Anyway really I was only thinking aloud and I'm not concerned as I'm too lazy in my retirement to track cars these days.

I didn’t know ‘Competition Driving Mode’ also tightened the steering.

I have variable steering in a few of my cars and in them you will also noticed a big difference when you go into ‘Sports Mode’ where you can feel the steering wheel tighten in your hands, the throttle response noticeably changes as the accelerator pedal physically stiffens, the transmission shifts points change and the gears will run all the way to the rev limiter before changing and the rev matching when changing down becomes far more prominent plus you can feel the extra torque unleashed.

The BMW in particular feels like it stands to attention when you first press the button to get things started.

Tomorrow if it’s not raining I’m going to take the Ute for a run and start pressing buttons to see what happens.

If I hadn’t jumped the gun last year and grabbed a Redline after hearing talk Holden may discontinue the Wagon and Ute and concentrate on the Sedan for the final year I would’ve possibly ended up with a Magnum.

As it is I’ve just recently picked up a new car and if I splurge on a third in 12 months there is every chance I’ll wake up one morning to find myself neutered.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I was aware of those modes, my comment was in reference to being able to incrementally increase or decrease the severity of both TC and ESP separately between on and off.

For example you could assess two or three level of available spin between on and off for TC and the same again for the amount of yaw available in ESP.

So you could have no TC and a little ESP or a little TC but no ESP or part of both and so on.

With the Redline it appears the only intermediate is ‘Competition Driving Mode’ which is better than nothing but a bit more leeway for driver input wouldn’t have hurt.

Anyway really I was only thinking allowed and I'm not concerned as I'm too lazy in my retirement to track cars these days.

I didn’t know ‘Competition Driving Mode’ also tightened the steering.

I have variable steering in a few of my cars and in them you will also noticed a big difference when you go into ‘Sports Mode’ where you can feel the steering wheel tighten in your hands, the throttle response noticeably changes as the accelerator pedal physically stiffens, the transmission shifts points change and the gears will run all the way to the rev limiter before changing and the rev matching when changing down becomes far more prominent plus you can feel the extra torque unleashed.

The BMW in particular feels like it stands to attention when you first press the button to get things started.

Tomorrow if it’s not raining I’m going to take the Ute for a run and start pressing buttons to see what happens.

If I hadn’t jumped the gun last year and grabbed a Redline after hearing talk Holden may discontinue the Wagon and Ute and concentrate on the Sedan for the final year I would’ve possibly ended up with a Magnum.

As it is I’ve just recently picked up a new car and if I splurge on a third in 12 months there is every chance I’ll wake up one morning to find myself neutered.

Yeah, I thought you would have bern aware.
BTW, I hear what you're saying. But, it's only really wwen you hold the magic button down for several seconds, that TC and ESP turn off completely. So, in a sence it is incremental.
The steering is significantly tighter in perf mode. Personally, I'd prefer it like that all the time.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yeah, I thought you would have bern aware.
BTW, I hear what you're saying. But, it's only really wwen you hold the magic button down for several seconds, that TC and ESP turn off completely. So, in a sence it is incremental.
The steering is significantly tighter in perf mode. Personally, I'd prefer it like that all the time.

I totally agree with you about the way the steering should feel.

I love the feel of the AMG's until I hop into the BMW and you realise someone got this so right as this is how it should feel, nice and tight and responsive.

I'll check out the Ute and compare it to the others.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
The TC has totally gone to sleep, though the ESP does cut in when the back end steps out. Can't do that too many times as the thing then goes into limp mode if the ESP cuts in too many times
Oh really? I wasn't sware of that. Not a bad idea really.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

That definitely needs some attention.