Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS oil change

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
was interested to see the inside of the pan after 152000km and no filter or ATF changes based on Holden servicing
For what it’s worth, the pan looks remarkably clean along with the magnet that doesn’t have too much smutz on it considering the transmission has travelled 150k. One would have to wonder whether the fluid has actually been replaced some time in its life by 3rd party and the book simply not stamped.

It will be interesting to see the filter opened up along with some better shots of the fluid colour.

As for the seal, I've heard it’s a bugger to replace and you have confirm the fact. I’d be worried about scratching the bore where the seal lives which means I’d take more care and probably do a better job than the Holden service monkeys who would rush through the job and/or just not change the filter.

One has to wonder why GM went so cheap on the design and didn’t go with a filter design with a flange and flat gasket with a small bolt or two to hold the filter on (or better still just a pick up pipe and an external spin on filter)..

One also has to wonder about the lack of trans sump baffling (and I’ve not heard of a dry sump transmission) given the limited edition performance versions that are track qualified. I guess than just reinforces the view that a true performance transmission is shifted by hand :p:p:p

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Would a pick tool make removing the seal easier ?

shopping.jpeg

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Well I'll give this a go soon and will let you know how it goes with the seal puller. Should pop right out a long as there is enough clearance to get it in there.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
skylarking: couldn't agree with you more with the manual.
But if the car is already auto, and the missus cant handle the manual (she has few years on the clock now), as doesnt want to be exercising the left foot all the time then you left with what you served up

Reminds me of the bro's 68 Camaro number plate, running Steve Schmidt 522 BBC, N/A, through 5 speed Jerco box. Thats some shifting to haul arse at 8.8-8.9 sec 148mph, and carrying front wheels through 3 gears

1701817013576.jpeg

Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Would a pick tool make removing the seal easier ?

View attachment 261094
the pick maybe okay, however need a fair amount of leverage to, and seal is tight not sure you can pull it down from the top
The strongest part of the seal is the flange thats outside the hole and if you can get this started and moved in with seal tool (in my case large flat screw driver), remember no hoist, so seeing and getting things straight and the light at night is not that good, as your working in front of the light

I tried to take my time and resisted giving too much pressure just worked around the edges

Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
skylarking: couldn't agree with you more with the manual.
But if the car is already auto, and the missus cant handle the manual (she has few years on the clock now), as doesnt want to be exercising the left foot all the time then you left with what you served up

Reminds me of the bro's 68 Camaro number plate, running Steve Schmidt 522 BBC, N/A, through 5 speed Jerco box. Thats some shifting to haul arse at 8.8-8.9 sec 148mph, and carrying front wheels through 3 gears

View attachment 261095
Uploaded video

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've not done many but I found it easiest if you use a screw driver to collapse the seal in on itself then it pulls out easily. The one on our Calais (4l60e) was stuck good too.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
not sure as never really seen the inside of the 700R4/4160E trans (although Im getting to that shortley )
However from the pic I've seen the seal sits lower in the box for the 4160so looks like access maybe a little easier ...however only going off a few pic I've seen

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
not sure as never really seen the inside of the 700R4/4160E trans (although Im getting to that shortley )
However from the pic I've seen the seal sits lower in the box for the 4160so looks like access maybe a little easier ...however only going off a few pic I've seen
I've seen a couple of videos & they say to just leave the seal in, if when re insertting the new filter & its tight?
Well, thats what l did on my 6L50 anyway.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
This sump is 100mm thats 55mm added to the front of the factory GMH 6L80 pan depth
I'll put the car up on ramps after weekend to check everything is okay for piece of mind
However will take the time to take some dimensions and heights of current pan and location

This is what I was referring to with pan with baffles, looks the go

Attachments

• BMM pan 70391#2.jpg
    BMM pan 70391#2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 38
  • BMM pan 70391#4.jpg
    BMM pan 70391#4.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 37