Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Anthony121, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    I think you should try and fix this yourself with a can of silicon spray. Very easy to do. I did mine myself and you can read about early on in the topic.

2. DMAC0320

DMAC0320 New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Motorsport Edition
    Thanks mate, will try myself if I cant get Holden to fix first as there a couple of other issues I will get them to sort out at the same time, one being possibly an issue with the suspension also. Its hard for me to be sure as I never test drove the MSE and never had the opportunity to drive any others but the ride in my car in sports mode feels very firm and seems like its partly to blame for a lot of the noise in the cabin, how do you find the ride in your director? I understand its meant to be firm but imagined it would be very similar to the Redline and its no where near that feel, at the moment I really am finding it hard to enjoy the ride in my car?

3. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ when you go to the dealer, highlight a faulty top windscreen seal as being a cause of noise in many late model commodores. Ask them to check for any service bulletings related to windscreen seals and or dash noise. If there are any, it may involve windscreen removal and re-installation which most JC members would not like done on their cars, hence the simple spray fix which works.

It's really overdue for Holden to produce a service bulleting on this issue and updated their maintenance schedule to define such a spray be periodically applied. This would aid the dealers in sorting out customers concerns but i guess the thought of Joe Blogs wanting a new windscreen seal places it is the too costly basket.

DMAC0320 likes this.
  4. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    The Director actually feels softer than the Redline although the MRC does bang around a bit. Sounds like you have a dead body in the boot sometimes.. The redline has lots of cabin noises. Mostly rubber door seals and the bloody sunroof. Holden couldn't fix it but my mechanic gave me some spray that I used once for rubber door seal noise. The can was over 20 years old but it worked. I need to find out what it is.

As for the windscreen noise, I've only sprayed my car twice and the noise hasn't came back. I'm sure the sunroof noise is from the polish/wax I use but I never had that issue in the VF Calais V that I had for 4 years.

5. DMAC0320

DMAC0320 New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Motorsport Edition
    Thanks for the feedback mate. I will let you know the outcome just in case it helps anyone else out. I have complained about the noise in the boot before so sounds like I'm not the only one hearing it. I think I need to take a couple of cars for drives with the dealer and then get back in mine as I definitely feel there is a suspension issue in addition to all the cabin noise which Im hoping its a simple fix with the spray as everyone is suggesting. Painful!

6. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    The noise in the boot is normal for MRC. I have driven a Motorsport a few times and that also makes the rear MRC sound.

7. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
    My Windscreen noise has returned after approx 1 year of having the silicone spray fix applied.

8. DMAC0320

DMAC0320 New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Motorsport Edition
    That sucks, did you have the issues and then the silicone spray seemed to fix it at least for the short term?

9. KING46Calais V

KING46Calais V Active Member

Members Ride:
    2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
    Supercheap
    They have the inox one as well
    And the lanotec heavy duty

10. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    Gotta say I've never noticed any noise in my boot on either tour, sport or performance modes.

11. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    yes the silicone fixed it for about a year. Mind you my car does not get much use or exposure to the elements so it will probably vary on everyones situation.

DMAC0320 likes this.
  12. Voodoo_SV6

Voodoo_SV6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
    I applied silicone spray about 18 months ago after the dealer offered to book my car in for 3 days and pull the dashboard apart to try and locate the issue. I have not had it return 70,000kms later and the car sits out in the weather 24/7 and gets washed most weekends.

DMAC0320, Anthony121 and lmoengnr like this.
  13. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Can you share with us what you did to apply the silicone?

14. markalan1two

markalan1two Smile and wave boys !!!!

Members Ride:
    X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, Audi S3, Corolla
    i used silicon grease applied it to a plastic trim removal tool, lightly coated about 10mm of the tip of the tool, slid it under the rubber seal and applied the grease to the rubber along the length of the rubber seal. Reapplying more grease to the tool about every 20-30cm or as needed.

15. Voodoo_SV6

Voodoo_SV6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
    I lifted the rubber seal at the top edge of the windscreen with a tool like a trim removal tool, and inserted the straw type device on the top of the can and gave a generous spray of silicone spray all the way across the top of the screen and around both edges. Let it sit for a minute then wiped the paint with a clean cloth and didn't wash the car for a week to allow it to soak in.

16. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    As much as it all seems to work well, i'd have concerns over long term use of some non Holden certified spray being applied around the windscreen seal.

None of us know how these sprays will react with the urethane that bonds the windscreen to the vehicle body and such urethane glues are integral to the vehicles roof crush strength. I'd think that is one thing no one should be inadvertently compromising.

Those with the problem should be pounding Holden and the dealer for a permanent safe solution.

17. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    While I agree, aside from removing and replacing the screen, they don't seem to know any other solution.

In that regard, has anyone had the screen removed & replaced and, if so, has the problem been rectified ?

18. KING46Calais V

Members Ride:
    Which is why I used lanolin based spray. Its Natural
    Excluding the propellant

19. Ausroamer

Ausroamer New Member

Members Ride:
    2017 SSV Redline
    I used LANOX in late 2017 and the noise has just started to come back on really hot days. I used the least amount I could and have no visible negative affects from using a Lanolin based product so far. For me, a two minute spray job once per year is preferable to having the screen removed.

Paulie81 likes this.
  20. KING46Calais V

Members Ride:
    Same here
    I'd rather spray every 12 months than have Holden touch it esp something as involved as a windscreen removal.
    It's a shame that so many people are hesitant to get the manufacturer to touch their own product due to such bad experiences and stories from other consumers.