Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Ditto, i noticed the windscreen creaking noise just before I parked it a month or so back. I haven't driven it since as I'm waiting for rocker arms.
I want to use lanolin lube too, but I'm cautious of maybe staining the hood lining?

Hadn't thought of staining roofliner. Might just use the reliable old 303 Protectant instead. Just not sure it will actually provide 'lubrication', and being a pump spray, more difficult to spray in.

Ausroamer, what's your experience been with the Lanox?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Hood Lining? It doesn't get inside the car just the top of the windscreen. The windscreen is glued in so it shouldn't get past the glue.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hood Lining? It doesn't get inside the car just the top of the windscreen. The windscreen is glued in so it shouldn't get past the glue.
Yeah, my thoughts too. But, I was just thinking that if there are gaps in the sealant, then the liquid may find it's way inside? Doubtful I know. Although, with the gap at the front of the hood lining, I think I'm now convinced it won't be an issue.
I'm going to apply Inox spray. Will post up th e result when I next drive it. Around 7/2.

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
TTubrag, your picture describes how I did it - just lift the lip enough to get the spray tube in and run it along the seal. I tried to minimise the amount going in, so did a quick spray along the seal (ie lube not flood). I did not get any visible sign of the LANOX getting past the seal and into the cabin - no stains on roof lining and no smell inside the car. I have not yet had any sign of the rattles returning (I cannot recall exactly when I did it, but I would say 6 weeks ago now). I'll report back if it returns so people have an idea how long it lasts. I have had no negative effects from using the Lanox.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Haven't done the windscreen lube job yet but drove the car a fair bit today. Same roads and times of day as a few days ago when I noticed the windscreen creaking for the first time. Strange thing is, not a peep AT ALL outta that big glass blob today. Only difference I can identify is the weather conditions.

The creaking was occurring at 24-25 degrees C in 85%+ humidity (Perth had a 140mm storm come through the day before). Today was just normal Perth summer weather; sunny cloudless day at 17 - 29 degrees C with humidity in the 20's to 40's %. I'm wondering if the creaking is more likely to occur when things get a little humid and tacky.

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Mine started off being very intermittent, definitely more noticeable in hot/humid weather. I also found that a bit of rain on the car 'lubed' the seal a bit and stopped the noise for a day or two. It quickly got worse and then was always there regardless of temp. Once it got bad, I was able to confirm the source by pushing on the windscreen at the top from inside and outside. It took a fair bit of force pushing but would generate a squeak. The Lanox did the job - its all quiet now and I'm back to enjoying driving the car.

RastusSSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Commodore VF2 Redline Sedan
Mine started off being very intermittent, definitely more noticeable in hot/humid weather. I also found that a bit of rain on the car 'lubed' the seal a bit and stopped the noise for a day or two. It quickly got worse and then was always there regardless of temp. Once it got bad, I was able to confirm the source by pushing on the windscreen at the top from inside and outside. It took a fair bit of force pushing but would generate a squeak. The Lanox did the job - its all quiet now and I'm back to enjoying driving the car.

Mine started basically the same way. First noticed the sound after the car had been left outside in the sun. There was no noise if the car had been parked out of the sun but eventually the noise wes there continuously regardless of sun or shade. Rain/water on the windscreen stopped the noise for a day or so but it always returned.

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
An update for those interested. It has now been about 3.5 months since I sprayed Lanox along the top seal and still no sign of the rattle/noise returning.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
1270kms in 3 months and i'm getting a few squeeks and rattles which are hard to localize. I know it's going to be a fight with Holden as i've had run-ins with other dealers having selective hearing before.

But if a lubricant is required to remove a noise issue, how often and where must it be reapplied? Has this 'noise abatment task' made it into the service schedule?

And what sort of lubricant should be used to not degrade any bits around the area of spray. Hope Holden has done some long term studies in this area...

Frankly, to me, it seems silicon spray to remove windscreen noise is really a non fix (but a cheap one for Holden). Maybe a new plastic seal design and a correctly bonded and strong windscreen seem more like the correct answer to the problem (but that would cost far too much).

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I used silicon spray once along the top edge and the corners once about 3 months and approx 15,000kms ago - the car gets washed or pressure washed every week and no sign of the noise returning.