Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
I've replied to my own message as the car has started making a noise again. So I got about 7 months out of the spray before it needs anothe application. Fingers crossed it works again.

Try using lanolin. It won’t dry out like silicon does, and it’s safer on rubberised materials than is silicon (silicon can dry out rubberised materials).

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I've replied to my own message as the car has started making a noise again. So I got about 7 months out of the spray before it needs anothe application. Fingers crossed it works again.
I would NOT be putting anything around the screen, I would be taking the car back.
Every movement of the screen is allowing silicone spray/lanolin etc etc to get further under the seal until the seal lets go and the screen falls out.
The screen SHOULD NOT MOVE.
Take the car back and demand a refit and/or new screen.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I would NOT be putting anything around the screen, I would be taking the car back.
Every movement of the screen is allowing silicone spray/lanolin etc etc to get further under the seal until the seal lets go and the screen falls out.
The screen SHOULD NOT MOVE.
Take the car back and demand a refit and/or new screen.
Do you think it is going under the main polyurethane glue holding the screen in? I'm only spraying the top seal which does not hold the screen in. The screen will flex. if it didn't flex with the car, it would break.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Do you think it is going under the main polyurethane glue holding the screen in? I'm only spraying the top seal which does not hold the screen in. The screen will flex. if it didn't flex with the car, it would break.

If the screen is moving then yes, every chance the silicone etc will get under the seal and cause it to fail.
I am no expert but I have always been led to believe the screen is an integral part of the cars structure.
I remember a current affairs program some years ago where they took screen installers to task for not wearing gloves when fitting screens.
The argument was body acid/sweat off the hands could render the seal useless and hence make the car structurally unsound.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
VicRoads Vehicle Standards Information #25, Motor Vehicle Body Repairs states:

"The windscreen and rear window form part of the vehicle structure. Incorrectly fitted windscreens or rear windows will adversely affect the roof strength and its performance, particularly in a roll over. Therefore it is important that the correct adhesive and application procedures are used when fitting a windscreen or rear window."

Make of that what you will but as i don't have enough knowledge about the long term affects that silicon or lanoline can have on rubber or the ployurethane bond, i wouldn't consider such a fix a great solution.

As has been said, the issue impacting some commodores seems to be related to small movement in the /bodywindscreen causing the top seal to make noise. Either the body/screen flexes more than it should (design issue), or there is something wrong with the factory windscreen install (manufacture issue), or there is something wrong with the top seal itself (component issue). But as none of us here had a hand in the vehicle design, we don't know what the underlying cause is.

In any case, why would you take the risk of not using a manufacturer approved solution (which in this case seems to be the windscreen being replaced along with a new top seal)?

Having said that, my biggest concern would be that the dealer service department may not be able to correctly install a new windscreen in any case, as that is not their day job (so to speak). Even a windscreen installer that comes out to you couldn't possibly do a good job as placing a screen onto the poly bond is not really a one man job (but there is only ever one man that comes to you to do it).

Sadly Windscreen Replacement - Australian College of Road Safety (pfd) seem to cast doubt (in their abstract) on how well windscreens are replaced out in the real works (i've yet to read the whole doc).

So it seems there is no real good solution here unless Holden comes out and formally states that periodically applying lanolin (for example) would resolve the issue and not cause degradation of the runner or windscreen bond in the long term (and take the legal hit should such sattements be wrong and a roof caves in a rollover). But i doubt Holden would make such a formal statement.

I'd still want Holden to correctly resolve the issue rather than hoping my home grown periodic oiling would not cause issues down the track...

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the screen is moving then yes, every chance the silicone etc will get under the seal and cause it to fail.
I am no expert but I have always been led to believe the screen is an integral part of the cars structure.
I remember a current affairs program some years ago where they took screen installers to task for not wearing gloves when fitting screens.
The argument was body acid/sweat off the hands could render the seal useless and hence make the car structurally unsound.
Who said the screen is moving? It flexes but is still glued in.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
There are 2 parts here.

1) Glue/sikaflex holding the screen in (structural)
2) Seal around the screen making it look pretty where it meets the body (non-structural)

My read is that the body flexes very slightly (like all cars do) causing the cosmetic seal to rub and make noise against the body. This doesn't compromise the structural bond between the screen and the car. A small amount of lubricant will not affect the structural seal between the screen and the body, go for your life lubing the body-screen cosmetic seal as it has absolutely zero effect on the structural bond.

The sikaflex used in screen bonding is nasty **** and even using solvents is a bitch to remove. Lanolin/silicone/etc will not affect it. My suggestion would be a HHS grease in a can.

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
My understanding is the issue is caused by a defective top seal (faulty heat treating), this seal has nothing to do with holding the screen in, nor does it play any structural role. I don't buy that the small amount of spray I use to lubricate the seal will have any impact on the screen bonding strength. For me - I'll spray some lanolin every 7 months rather than have the screen cut out and risk other issues, but each to their own.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for all your input. My car was actually looked at by a Holden engineer and TAC person. They were the ones that did the original work on the car and probably advise the fix for all the dealers who come across this issue. My windows are sealed fine. It is only the cosmetic top seals that have not been finished correctly making this noise. I do not wish to have my windscreen cut and replace back into the vehicle so this was an easy solution to the problem. I will live with the fact I may have to lube the windows every 6 months. When I need a new Windscreen, I will ask for both front and rear rubbers to be replaced.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Thanks for all your input. My car was actually looked at by a Holden engineer and TAC person. They were the ones that did the original work on the car and probably advise the fix for all the dealers who come across this issue. My windows are sealed fine. It is only the cosmetic top seals that have not been finished correctly making this noise. I do not wish to have my windscreen cut and replace back into the vehicle so this was an easy solution to the problem. I will live with the fact I may have to lube the windows every 6 months. When I need a new Windscreen, I will ask for both front and rear rubbers to be replaced.
I reckon the spray lube should be fine in your case Anthony121, the problem with the replacement of the rear glass is that it's seals aren't available.... At all they come on the glass from the manufacturer, trust me I have looked.as mine arent totally even (its the quality controller in me) and one is slightly raised with some average ureathane application, so I was going to cut the glass and replace seals when I got it tinted alas, no not available. There are however some aftermarket seals that are close, and look fine, just not Oem.... Needless to say I still haven't tinted the car lol