Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Amelia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV SERIES 11
Hi Amelia, mine sounded like a dash rattle too. Thanks to this forum I looked closer at the windscreen and was able to partially replicate the noise by pushing against the top of the screen - it takes some force though. Mine also was much noisier in hot weather than it was in cooler temperatures. The spray application is very easy if you follow the posts earlier in this thread and is worth doing even if only to eliminate the windscreen as the source. With any luck it'll fix the problem. Mine has been noise free for months now after only a light spray along the seal.
Hi, yes funnily my husband believes he can replicate it too by pushing the drivers side inside (I can't) it does take some force, though the passenger side makes no noise so I guess it's not normal! We tried a little silicon a few weeks back & didn't fix it but I'm not sure we got in there correctly. I'm hoping my dealer will do this for me when I'm taking it again shortly. I'll keep you all posted. Thankful for this forum or id have absolutely no idea of this common problem.
Cheers!

Amelia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV SERIES 11
Hi, yes funnily my husband believes he can replicate it too by pushing the drivers side inside (I can't) it does take some force, though the passenger side makes no noise so I guess it's not normal! We tried a little silicon a few weeks back & didn't fix it but I'm not sure we got in there correctly. I'm hoping my dealer will do this for me when I'm taking it again shortly. I'll keep you all posted. Thankful for this forum or id have absolutely no idea of this common problem.
Cheers!
Happy for you it was an easy fix :)

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Funnily though it's never been overly obvious at night ?
Like others in this forum have said the sound sounds like 2 pieces of plastic crackling / creaking together & it had started to move around but is definitely more noticeable for the driver & sounds like it's coming from the dash area. Now that has all been pulled apart & Hud replaced, only for it to still be there.. this has to be the problem surely.

I hope it is for your sake. It sure sounds like it, but of course there's no guarantee. My feeling is that the combined locations of the windscreen and dash work to both amplify and distribute the creaking sounds so that it's very difficult to isolate.

I fear that if you ask the dealer to do what you're not sure of doing yourself (ie: lubing the top seal), they'll just either not do it at all, or at least... stuff it up through misunderstanding/ miscommunication.

I suspect you're best options are to:
1. Lube the top seal yourself. Pull the seal back (as in the pic in post #99) and spray lanolin lube in behind the seal for the full length of the top seal. This is only a workaround.
OR...
2. Don't lube the top seal, but convince the dealer the issue is the top seal and have them remove and replace windscreen and seal under warranty. If done properly, this should be a permanent fix.

Good luck with it and be sure to let us know how you go. :)

Amelia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV SERIES 11
I hope it is for your sake. It sure sounds like it, but of course there's no guarantee. My feeling is that the combined locations of the windscreen and dash work to both amplify and distribute the creaking sounds so that it's very difficult to isolate.

I fear that if you ask the dealer to do what you're not sure of doing yourself (ie: lubing the top seal), they'll just either not do it at all, or at least... stuff it up through misunderstanding/ miscommunication.

1. Lube the top seal yourself. Pull the seal back (as in the pic in post #99) and spray lanolin lube in behind the seal for the full length of the top seal. This is only a workaround.
OR...
2. Don't lube the top seal, but convince the dealer the issue is the top seal and have them remove and replace windscreen and seal under warranty. If done properly, this should be a permanent fix.

Thank you, you are right & I guess I'll have to just see that they say on this next drive with a technician. It will be this week so I'm probably better off letting them hear it again..& hopefully finally diagnose it. Fingers crossed! I'm hoping with our pushing that they will talk to Holden technical. Apparently they can't go any further with it until such approval too. If no luck with another visit I'll be tackling again for sure. Sorry how do I find those posts on here with the pics?
Thanks again for the help!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The noise in my Motorsport ended up being the protective plastic covering the sunroof inner panel. My car was delivered NOPD and I left this on. My VF Redline has never made the noise.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thank you, you are right & I guess I'll have to just see that they say on this next drive with a technician. It will be this week so I'm probably better off letting them hear it again..& hopefully finally diagnose it. Fingers crossed! I'm hoping with our pushing that they will talk to Holden technical. Apparently they can't go any further with it until such approval too. If no luck with another visit I'll be tackling again for sure. Sorry how do I find those posts on here with the pics?
Thanks again for the help!
I assume the posts are numbered when viewed on a computer? I only ever login through my phone. Hence the frequent typos. Haha.
You just need to use a plastic trim removal tool to raise the outer strips on the windscreen. Just enough to insert the spray nozzle. Then spray from one side to another. Top and bottom.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The noise wont be so noticeable at night as it is cooler. I noticed when the car came out of the garage it didn't creak until it got warm. Also when the car was wet after rain or washing, there wasn't a noise. I don't understand why they pulled apart your dash to change the HUD when there wasn't anything wrong with it?
Now looking at your HUD post, myself and others did say check to see it wasn't the windscreen before pulling the HUD out.

Amelia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV SERIES 11
I assume the posts are numbered when viewed on a computer? I only ever login through my phone. Hence the frequent typos. Haha.
You just need to use a plastic trim removal tool to raise the outer strips on the windscreen. Just enough to insert the spray nozzle. Then spray from one side to another. Top and bottom.
Yes I'm on the phone too, must be why I can't look them up.
Thanks a lot for all the feedback, I'm going to get to the bottom of this asap if it's the last thing I do ;-)
Cheers!

Amelia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV SERIES 11
The noise wont be so noticeable at night as it is cooler. I noticed when the car came out of the garage it didn't creak until it got warm. Also when the car was wet after rain or washing, there wasn't a noise. I don't understand why they pulled apart your dash to change the HUD when there wasn't anything wrong with it?
Now looking at your HUD post, myself and others did say check to see it wasn't the windscreen before pulling the HUD out.
Hi, yes those were our thoughts too.. why pull it out & replace it when it worked fine?! That's what they wanted to do.. they said the plastic piece on top could make a noise when heated up, apparently they'd done one before! I was worried all along, hence researching & finding this forum.
We did a little silicon up top & around the screen, it did nothing as I reported in here earlier so that's why I moved forward with the dealer. Then the noise was still there unfortunately, though they struggle to hear it.. maybe mine is in the worser scale & I do need a refit (or more silicon) which is why I'll persist with them for now I guess, hoping to know more in the next few days with another visit. I'll keep you all posted. Cheers

Amelia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV SERIES 11

OR...

Hello,
Feel I've had some luck today.
Today's Tecnitian could hear it clearly & thinks due to the noise varying as the car flexes, also it was slightly quieter as he pushed the screen while driving too, he thinks it's the screen & they booked me in & are investigating, I may be having it re sealed yet but will see.. I'll keep you all posted, feeling a little better now though & fingers crossed for a good result soon

Last edited: