Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Hello,
Feel I've had some luck today.
Today's Tecnitian could hear it clearly & thinks due to the noise varying as the car flexes, also it was slightly quieter as he pushed the screen while driving too, he thinks it's the screen & they booked me in & are investigating, I may be having it re sealed yet but will see.. I'll keep you all posted, feeling a little better now though & fingers crossed for a good result soon

It is the top seal that is the issue. The glue will be fine. If they do the spray properly, the windscreen wont make any noise for a while. I wouldn't want my screen taken out for no reason. My back window did the same.

Alchemistry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, VF Calais V, VF II Director
Happy for you it was an easy fix :)
I thought I wold would put in my experience. I have a Director which started what I thought was dash creaking at about 2000 Km. This continued to get worse and now with 20,000 Km it is terrible. Even at 5 Km/hr it has creaks coming out of what I thought was the dash. Took the glove box out, centre screen, silicone the door rubbers, sprayed silicone into all the clips in the dash - all to no avail. My son sat in the passengers seat and thought it was coming from the sides and top of screen. Took of outside screen mouldings, no change. Then I read the forum and tried the silicone spray behind the top screen rubber seal - voila - a quiet as a tomb. Absolutely unbelievable. How could something so apparently minor and seemingly unimportant contribute to so many months of absolute frustration and annoyance. All fixed so easily.

Amelia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV SERIES 11
I thought I wold would put in my experience. I have a Director which started what I thought was dash creaking at about 2000 Km. This continued to get worse and now with 20,000 Km it is terrible. Even at 5 Km/hr it has creaks coming out of what I thought was the dash. Took the glove box out, centre screen, silicone the door rubbers, sprayed silicone into all the clips in the dash - all to no avail. My son sat in the passengers seat and thought it was coming from the sides and top of screen. Took of outside screen mouldings, no change. Then I read the forum and tried the silicone spray behind the top screen rubber seal - voila - a quiet as a tomb. Absolutely unbelievable. How could something so apparently minor and seemingly unimportant contribute to so many months of absolute frustration and annoyance. All fixed so easily.

Yes it's crazy isn't it.. It drove me insane trying to figure it all out, & then convince the dealership too that weren't familiar with this common issue!
My car is still fine, I'm intrigued to see how long before it'll need re doing. So far so good though.
Glad your all sorted now, nothing worse than putting up with such noise in a new & beautiful car!

Alchemistry

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes it's crazy isn't it.. It drove me insane trying to figure it all out, & then convince the dealership too that weren't familiar with this common issue!
My car is still fine, I'm intrigued to see how long before it'll need re doing. So far so good though.
Glad your all sorted now, nothing worse than putting up with such noise in a new & beautiful car!

Alchemistry

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Amelia, We have just been into Bowral to shop and it is about a 25 Km run. Not a squeak or groan from it, just absolute silence. I really was becoming disappointed with this car having paid full price for a Director and it was sounding like a very old car. I had a similar problem years ago with a VS Statesman and had to regularly put silicone oil on the stabilizer bar insulators. It had a similar creaking but only when the car went over a moderate deflection. This creaking came in at the smallest of deflections even just coming over the lip of the garage. My son suggested I look on the forum at the subject of creaking screens. So glad I did. It just defies logic to think such a small component could give us all such angst and disappointment with such a beautiful car. Now it just is so good. Everything is so tight, not a rattle or a squeak and the MRC irons out even the worst of bumps. It is now how those magnificent Holden engineers designed and intended it to be. Such handling, such power, and such comfort and now quietness. It is now 100% complete. And to think I have put up with this creaking for almost 20,000 Km. Glad to hear yours is still quiet, but the problem is always locating such annoyances. Once a cause and fix is known the rest is easy.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just wish this knowleadge would make it to Holden so people are not stuffed about.
It's a known fault so Holden should investigate.

Holden should either fit a new windscreern trim or specify what spray to use, where, and how often as part of an updated service schedule.
Anything less is just amateur night at the dealers :eek: which is why people feel they are stuffed about :oops:

Amelia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV SERIES 11
Just wish this knowleadge would make it to Holden so people are not stuffed about.
It's a known fault so Holden should investigate.

Holden should either fit a new windscreern trim or specify what spray to use, where, and how often as part of an updated service schedule.
Anything less is just amateur night at the dealers :eek: which is why people feel they are stuffed about :oops:
Yes absolutely! My local dealer & senior technitions, a large dealer too were not familiar at all & took a bit of convincing. It could've saved so much time & effort on both parties had there been a bulletin etc. It's surprising it's not almost a recall really!

Last edited:

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
For those wondering how long this lasts - I'm at about 12 months from giving the top windscreen a very quick spray with Lanox and still no sign of the rattle returning. I've done about 8500kms since the lube.