Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Alchemistry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, VF Calais V, VF II Director
It absolutely sounds like it's coming from the dash! Reason why it's so hard to diagnose. Definitely try this option before going any further.
Good luck!
Believe me, it is not coming from the dash, even though every sense tells you that is the source. It is the rubber strip at the top of the windscreen, just that 3mm wide strip. Unbelievable. It just doesn't make any logical sense, but that is what causes it. I had much of the dash disassembled and sprayed silicone oil on anything that looked like it would creak, put silicone oil on all the door rubbers, oiled the top of the strut towers and also on the front stabiliser bar rubbers. No change. It still was there. Put the oil under the top screen rubber - instant satisfaction and a very happy punter. As quiet as a tomb!!!

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Believe me, it is not coming from the dash, even though every sense tells you that is the source. It is the rubber strip at the top of the windscreen, just that 3mm wide strip. Unbelievable. It just doesn't make any logical sense, but that is what causes it. I had much of the dash disassembled and sprayed silicone oil on anything that looked like it would creak, put silicone oil on all the door rubbers, oiled the top of the strut towers and also on the front stabiliser bar rubbers. No change. It still was there. Put the oil under the top screen rubber - instant satisfaction and a very happy punter. As quiet as a tomb!!!
Thanks everyone, I now have something to act on. I love my car but the noise was driving me crazy, taking away from my experience of the car. I will let you know what happens next

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Was looking for a different commercial but couldn’t find it, maybe this one captures the problem dificulty in isolating where the noise actually comes from :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Was looking for a different commercial but couldn’t find it, maybe this one captures the problem dificulty in isolating where the noise actually comes from :rolleyes:
Can I just ask one more question, which silicone spray/lubricant are people using cause i am about to go out and buy some

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Merv53, some have used lanolin spray while others have used silicon spray which seem rubber safe. I don't think anyone has used WD40 which may not be rubber safe ;)

From my perspective, i'd want Holden to specify exactly what product to use so that i don't have to worry about long term use causing degredation of the seals or paintwork. I'd want the spray, lotion, cream, whatever specified by Holden as my MSE is a long term keeper. Then if something does occur down the track due to the use of the Holden recomended product, it would fall back to Holden to rectify the damage. And it's probably this liability angle that means Holden has said nothing about this as a fix. Oddly Holden will replace your windscreen seals by pulling the windscreen out but who wants a dealer fitted windscreen - not me).

Others are not concerned about lanolin or silicon spray.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've always been lead to believe that silicon should be kept away from paint work.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
@Merv53, some have used lanolin spray while others have used silicon spray which seem rubber safe. I don't think anyone has used WD40 which may not be rubber safe ;)

From my perspective, i'd want Holden to specify exactly what product to use so that i don't have to worry about long term use causing degredation of the seals or paintwork. I'd want the spray, lotion, cream, whatever specified by Holden as my MSE is a long term keeper. Then if something does occur down the track due to the use of the Holden recomended product, it would fall back to Holden to rectify the damage. And it's probably this liability angle that means Holden has said nothing about this as a fix. Oddly Holden will replace your windscreen seals by pulling the windscreen out but who wants a dealer fitted windscreen - not me).

Others are not concerned about lanolin or silicon spray.
Well an engineer did mine with silicon spray

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Anthony121 an engineer also designed the o-ring on the space shuttle boosters o_O Your point?

All I’m saying is Holden should document a solution so we owners have some fallback should a periodic spray not work out well in the long term.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
In regard to spraying the top seal, it appears that silicone is a solution and lanolin may be a longer term one.
I'm not keen on having a dealer re fitted screen so will go with the spray fix.
In addition to silicon and lanolin sprays, would there be any advantage in using lithium spray, (dont think its plastic/rubber friendly)
teflon/PTFE spray,
chain lube or
dry lube spray?

Last edited:

Alchemistry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, VF Calais V, VF II Director
In regard to spraying the top seal, it appears that silicone is a solution and lanolin may be a longer term one.
I'm not keen on having a dealer re fitted screen so will go with the spray fix.
In addition to silicon and lanolin sprays, would there be any advantage in using lithium spray, (dont think its plastic/rubber friendly)
teflon/PTFE spray,
chain lube or
dry lube spray?
Hi King46Calais V: I used the silicone some months ago and it is still is quiet. As for silicone oil on paint. It will do no damage to the paint but can lead to problems if repainting is done.