Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
That sucks, did you have the issues and then the silicone spray seemed to fix it at least for the short term?

yes the silicone fixed it for about a year. Mind you my car does not get much use or exposure to the elements so it will probably vary on everyones situation.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I applied silicone spray about 18 months ago after the dealer offered to book my car in for 3 days and pull the dashboard apart to try and locate the issue. I have not had it return 70,000kms later and the car sits out in the weather 24/7 and gets washed most weekends.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I applied silicone spray about 18 months ago after the dealer offered to book my car in for 3 days and pull the dashboard apart to try and locate the issue. I have not had it return 70,000kms later and the car sits out in the weather 24/7 and gets washed most weekends.

Can you share with us what you did to apply the silicone?

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i used silicon grease applied it to a plastic trim removal tool, lightly coated about 10mm of the tip of the tool, slid it under the rubber seal and applied the grease to the rubber along the length of the rubber seal. Reapplying more grease to the tool about every 20-30cm or as needed.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Can you share with us what you did to apply the silicone?
I lifted the rubber seal at the top edge of the windscreen with a tool like a trim removal tool, and inserted the straw type device on the top of the can and gave a generous spray of silicone spray all the way across the top of the screen and around both edges. Let it sit for a minute then wiped the paint with a clean cloth and didn't wash the car for a week to allow it to soak in.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As much as it all seems to work well, i'd have concerns over long term use of some non Holden certified spray being applied around the windscreen seal.

None of us know how these sprays will react with the urethane that bonds the windscreen to the vehicle body and such urethane glues are integral to the vehicles roof crush strength. I'd think that is one thing no one should be inadvertently compromising.

Those with the problem should be pounding Holden and the dealer for a permanent safe solution.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Those with the problem should be pounding Holden and the dealer for a permanent safe solution.

While I agree, aside from removing and replacing the screen, they don't seem to know any other solution.

In that regard, has anyone had the screen removed & replaced and, if so, has the problem been rectified ?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
As much as it all seems to work well, i'd have concerns over long term use of some non Holden certified spray being applied around the windscreen seal.

None of us know how these sprays will react with the urethane that bonds the windscreen to the vehicle body and such urethane glues are integral to the vehicles roof crush strength. I'd think that is one thing no one should be inadvertently compromising.

Which is why I used lanolin based spray. Its Natural
Excluding the propellant

Ausroamer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I used LANOX in late 2017 and the noise has just started to come back on really hot days. I used the least amount I could and have no visible negative affects from using a Lanolin based product so far. For me, a two minute spray job once per year is preferable to having the screen removed.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I used LANOX in late 2017 and the noise has just started to come back on really hot days. I used the least amount I could and have no visible negative affects from using a Lanolin based product so far. For me, a two minute spray job once per year is preferable to having the screen removed.
Same here
I'd rather spray every 12 months than have Holden touch it esp something as involved as a windscreen removal.
It's a shame that so many people are hesitant to get the manufacturer to touch their own product due to such bad experiences and stories from other consumers.