Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vf2 battery life

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I have pointed out before that those of us who have bought our cars where it was parked for a prolonged period at the dealership (in my case, 1 year), the battery is more likely to show signs of deterioration as it is unlikely the dealer would have cared for the battery aside from starting the car once every now and then. So the battery required replacement within a month of obtaining the car as it had given up the ghost.
As discussed earlier, just starting the car and driving it short distances or stop start does not ensure the battery is fully charged.
The nature of my driving, which is 25 mins of stop start every day to and from work, plus a dash cam in parking mode, is very taxing on the battery. I therefore recharge my battery each night using a Ctek charger.
The only time I don’t connect it is if I have driven the car for over 30 mins at a good speed.
I have mates who have had their original batteries for 6 years plus having looked after it well. Investing in a Ctek MXS5.0 is great for battery health over the life of the battery.
If sticking with the AC Delco range, the S57220 is not that expensive and a great battery. The next step up, being S57038EFB is great if you have a dash cam on parking mode. The AGM version in my opinion is not worth the extra cost and not needed - the VF is not a stop start vehicle.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
I have pointed out before that those of us who have bought our cars where it was parked for a prolonged period at the dealership (in my case, 1 year), the battery is more likely to show signs of deterioration as it is unlikely the dealer would have cared for the battery aside from starting the car once every now and then. So the battery required replacement within a month of obtaining the car as it had given up the ghost.
As discussed earlier, just starting the car and driving it short distances or stop start does not ensure the battery is fully charged.
The nature of my driving, which is 25 mins of stop start every day to and from work, plus a dash cam in parking mode, is very taxing on the battery. I therefore recharge my battery each night using a Ctek charger.
The only time I don’t connect it is if I have driven the car for over 30 mins at a good speed.
I have mates who have had their original batteries for 6 years plus having looked after it well. Investing in a Ctek MXS5.0 is great for battery health over the life of the battery.
If sticking with the AC Delco range, the S57220 is not that expensive and a great battery. The next step up, being S57038EFB is great if you have a dash cam on parking mode. The AGM version in my opinion is not worth the extra cost and not needed - the VF is not a stop start vehicle.

looks like the factory acdelco battery last a long time and well worth considering over other brands on the market
i have always used century batteries in my cars as they are aussie made and last around 5 years
anyone know where the acdelco batteries are made and what is rough price
i purchased a china made battery load tester on ebay $27 delivered , i will do a few test with half a dozen batteries i have which i know are good and bad to see how well it works, may even post results if anyone's interested
thanks for all the replies, the factory acdelco battery seems like its worth replacing with same when the time comes

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
looks like the factory acdelco battery last a long time and well worth considering over other brands on the market
i have always used century batteries in my cars as they are aussie made and last around 5 years
anyone know where the acdelco batteries are made and what is rough price
i purchased a china made battery load tester on ebay $27 delivered , i will do a few test with half a dozen batteries i have which i know are good and bad to see how well it works, may even post results if anyone's interested
thanks for all the replies, the factory acdelco battery seems like its worth replacing with same when the time comes
I just bought one too.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’m a bit of a barbarian, and hence believe that the daily driver needs to exhibit daily-driver properties ... but our car had 75km on the clock when we test-drove it as a “demo” 7 months after it was first registered, and the dealer’s test-drive loop was about 10km. So it must‘ve been sitting in the dealer’s yard without being driven super-often.

And then my wife’s work is a 45min walk away ... and that’s the daily use the car gets. Start, barely warmed-up, parked.

But we’re yet to see any problems with the stock battery, nearly 6yrs after first registration.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Going by the comments, I should be seeing close to 10 years on my battery as 90% of my driving for my VF is long distance high speed minimal traffic every weekend lol

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I treat my battery very poorly (2016)

My car is used for long trips. Other than that it sits in the shed and if it's very good I'll take it on a weekly trip to Bunnings or wherever (<5kms)

Since we returned from Darwin last year (Aug?) and because of Covid we haven't been on our regular jaunts.

These days it's not unusual for my car to be not started for two or three weeks (or more).

I haven't washed it since last xmas :eek:

A few months ago it wouldn't remote start so I thought I'd better charge the battery.

Oops, 25yo charger was dead,

Bought one of the new-fangled, all singing, all dancing ones and as the mood takes me I'll hook it up.

As I said, very poor maintenance but not expensive in the scheme of things to replace.

Mind you I'm starting to think I'll have to get a stick to actually kill the battery.

Sam_100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6
It's worth noting that you would expect the batteries in the vf to last longer by being fitted in the rear quarter rather than the engine bay where they would be subject to very high temperatures. Is the battery in the VE in the rear quarter also? I recall the battery in the BMW 3-series from the mid-90s being located under the rear seat on the left hand side.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Is the battery in the VE in the rear quarter also?

Yes, VE OMEGA, VE COMMODORE, VE INTERNATIONAL, other variants. There is no room in the VF engine bay for the quite large battery, hence it is shoehorned into its "cupboard" up the back. Simplifies servicing too.