Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VL auto slipping, need urgent help please

enzosRus

Reaction score
Hi, well yesterday we swapped autos in my friends vl as it seemed pretty straight forward. We swapped one out of a working car he had in his backyard which had a recently rebuilt auto in it which drove perfectly. His gearbox had been slipping slightly on changes but mainly uphill and with passengers. After installing and servicing it, now the car slips more and takes a few moments to engage into gears, especially drive. I have no idea whats happening, the only thing i can think is that possibly the torque converter isnt pushed in properly but im pretty sure we clicked it in properly and the box lines up and the converter bolts are all in tight. If this was so, then would it engage in gear at all? Could it have something to do with the cars wiring? Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you.

IvanTheTerrible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Did you swap torque convertors?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
you sure it was a good working transZ?

enzosRus

Reaction score
Yeah we swapped converters also, i put the converter in empty but cos i figured the oil would pump through and we filled the box up dry, it took something like 4.5-5 liters, we drove the donor car to my place and the car drove well. After warming up the car the dipstick shows full

enzosRus

Reaction score
the dipstick was showing full n we were told it took around 5 liters dry, we checked out the haynes manual which said it takes 7 liters, after putting another 2 liters in it runs perfect lol anyway, thanks for your posts.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
did you try to check the level after putting the first 5ltrs in?if you did you would have pickd this up and by the sounds of it 7ltrs sounds like alot