Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Vl commodore excess oil?

VLchick1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl commodore
So yesterday I serviced my Vl commodore for the first time (bought it four weeks ago) and I had an 8 litre bucket for the oil. The oil that I drained out ended up filling the 8 litre bucket with an extra 1-2 litres in another container, so about 10 litres in total.

I dont know why so much oil was there as it had not been over filled or topped up and was showing the oil level was just above halfway on the dipstick.

The oil was also very thin.

What could this be?
How did it happen?

Benny05

Reaction score
Members Ride
Comodore
I've had a few VL commodores in my time, done many of oil changes. I've always only ever put 5 litres in. Including half filling a new oil filter and losing some when installing it. As for the dip stick one would think that's not the correct stick. A short stick will mean more oil. 5 litres is more than ample for that motor.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
.........As for the dip stick one would think that's not the correct stick. A short stick will mean more oil. 5 litres is more than ample for that motor.
I was going to say that.
May be the dip stick/s who had it before you replaced it with wrong dip stick.

VLchick1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl commodore
The dipstick is the correct one and the oul was pretty normal. Its a bit fuely because its got a leaking injector but it wouldn't jabe caused the amount of oil in there. The old owner said he didn't hes my besy friend and a mechanic. So confused
It was running dine before the service