Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
okay to easy cheers for the help mate will get back to you sometime tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
replaced O2 sensor an now it's all good cheers mate! , wondering anyone else have this problem i replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing and when i squeeze any of the hoses, i can here the thermostat moving around ?

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
replaced O2 sensor an now it's all good cheers mate! , wondering anyone else have this problem i replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing and when i squeeze any of the hoses, i can here the thermostat moving around ?

your VN does NOT use O2 at idle.......................

100% of people that eat bread end up dying..........does this mean that eating bread will kill you?

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
your VN does NOT use O2 at idle.......................

100% of people that eat bread end up dying..........does this mean that eating bread will kill you?
doesn't matter problem seems to still be there spoke to soon i guess.....
anyone else know what it could be ?

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
it's not idling to bad atm, but its not idling right, it almost stalls in reverse and the exhaust system on it does not sound right anymore, sounds like a f*****g lawn mower now haha

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
it's not idling to bad atm, but its not idling right, it almost stalls in reverse and the exhaust system on it does not sound right anymore, sounds like a f*****g lawn mower now haha

You may have to remove the throttle body to properly clean the idle by-pass port, the build-up of gunk on the inside of the butterfly and the seat of the Idle Air Control Valve. The IAC could also be a bit sticky.
Reading your original post, it could be that the IAC is failing and not able to adjust the idle speed when engaging gear or perhaps switching on air-con.

Cheers, Jet. :beer chug:

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
You may have to remove the throttle body to properly clean the idle by-pass port, the build-up of gunk on the inside of the butterfly and the seat of the Idle Air Control Valve. The IAC could also be a bit sticky.
Reading your original post, it could be that the IAC is failing and not able to adjust the idle speed when engaging gear or perhaps switching on air-con.

Cheers, Jet. :beer chug:
yeah cheers mate, i removed the throttle body and elbow and they are full of s**t very black an dirty also the gaskets on them seem to be half broken off could this also cause my problem cheers :)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
make sure you map sensor tube dosnet have a vac leak or is blocked, or disconnected all together. my car was running like that one day after i did some work and couldnt figure out why, drove me nuts. come to find out i had knocked off the map sensor tube by accident.

but from the sounds of it it might just be a dirty throttle body. take off the IAC clean in there too. clean inside all those little vac ports, make sure there free flowing. i use carb cleaner and an old toothbrush to scrub all the muck off the throttle body and IAC. make sure your IAC has a little o-ring around it, prevents air from escaping.

also what do you mean by gaskets half broken off? talking about the real thin ones between where throttle body bolts to the manifold? even if you had no gasket there at all it would make the car run as bad as what your talking about.

also done an error code check?

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
make sure you map sensor tube dosnet have a vac leak or is blocked, or disconnected all together. my car was running like that one day after i did some work and couldnt figure out why, drove me nuts. come to find out i had knocked off the map sensor tube by accident.

but from the sounds of it it might just be a dirty throttle body. take off the IAC clean in there too. clean inside all those little vac ports, make sure there free flowing. i use carb cleaner and an old toothbrush to scrub all the muck off the throttle body and IAC. make sure your IAC has a little o-ring around it, prevents air from escaping.

also what do you mean by gaskets half broken off? talking about the real thin ones between where throttle body bolts to the manifold? even if you had no gasket there at all it would make the car run as bad as what your talking about.

also done an error code check?

yeah mate gonna give it a real good clean and check everything out before i put it back together and yes the thin gasket between the throttle body was half broken off, also done a error check got code 12 so apparently everything is okay -.-

TONY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP wagon
Hi I am new to this site, if the following post is in the wrong place please direct me thanks.

I have recently installed a complete motor and auto transmission in to a VP that was 5 speed manual. At start up the engine runs rough for about 15 seconds then revs up (2k) then drops down to 1k and runs smooth. Took the car out today for its first run and found that the trans won't change gear, if I put it into extra low gear then **** to second there is also no gear change. I have the original ECU in the car and the engine light is on, could it not be changing because the system is in 'limp' mode? I am going out now to try the reset options I found in this site. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hi I am new to this site, if the following post is in the wrong place please direct me thanks.

I have recently installed a complete motor and auto transmission in to a VP that was 5 speed manual. At start up the engine runs rough for about 15 seconds then revs up (2k) then drops down to 1k and runs smooth. Took the car out today for its first run and found that the trans won't change gear, if I put it into extra low gear then **** to second there is also no gear change. I have the original ECU in the car and the engine light is on, could it not be changing because the system is in 'limp' mode? I am going out now to try the reset options I found in this site. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks
have you checked for error codes on the ecu ?