Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

TONY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP wagon
have you checked for error codes on the ecu ?

Not as yet will do that tomorrow. I did 'reset' but engine light was still on, one thing that was noticeable was when I went from park to drive there was a big thump and jerk of the car I put it down to cold transmission. BTW thanks for your prompt reply, will let you know of any error codes.

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Not as yet will do that tomorrow. I did 'reset' but engine light was still on, one thing that was noticeable was when I went from park to drive there was a big thump and jerk of the car I put it down to cold transmission. BTW thanks for your prompt reply, will let you know of any error codes.
no worries mate

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
car is running a alot better after cleaning the T/B an elbow my other issue is when i squeeze my top radiator hose i can hear my thermostat moving up an down in the housing S1 Motor so it's under the T/B anyone know why this could be happening ?

JetJackson

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Exectutive Wagon
car is running a alot better after cleaning the T/B an elbow my other issue is when i squeeze my top radiator hose i can hear my thermostat moving up an down in the housing S1 Motor so it's under the T/B anyone know why this could be happening ?

It's normal (I think) for the thermostat to move in this way. The flow of water is from top radiator hose to thermostat, which is normally closed and opens upwards when at temperature. When you squeeze the top radiator hose, you will push coolant, but when you release the pressure on the squeeze, the coolant flows backwards and lifts the thermostat from its seat. I don't know why it isn't held in place by the thermostat housing cover

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E

You can't hear the thermostat moving, it can't move like that unless it is broken.
What you are probably hearing is the system not bled correctly, you can hear the air pocket trapped in there being moved back and forth by squeezing the hose.

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
It's normal (I think) for the thermostat to move in this way. The flow of water is from top radiator hose to thermostat, which is normally closed and opens upwards when at temperature. When you squeeze the top radiator hose, you will push coolant, but when you release the pressure on the squeeze, the coolant flows backwards and lifts the thermostat from its seat. I don't know why it isn't held in place by the thermostat housing cover

yeah, i also thought the housing would secure it down guess not

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
You can't hear the thermostat moving, it can't move like that unless it is broken.
What you are probably hearing is the system not bled correctly, you can hear the air pocket trapped in there being moved back and forth by squeezing the hose.
hmm, it's weird though because when i removed the hose i squeezed the top hose and i felt with my finger the thermostat moving up from the pressure this happens with the thermostat housing on as well big problem or ?

TONY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP wagon
Hi VNCommodoreBraah, did an engine light test and came up with code 33 MAP sensor, found that it was not plugged into the throttle body. Plugged it in and started engine, it ran smoothly first go, then checked engine light again and came up with code 33, have taken out engine fuse at the moment while I get a cuppa and write this. Prior to engine change I never had any error codes come up, so do MAP sensors just die?? Thanks in advance.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
hmm, it's weird though because when i removed the hose i squeezed the top hose and i felt with my finger the thermostat moving up from the pressure this happens with the thermostat housing on as well big problem or ?

Yes it is a big problem.
The thermostat is held down by the thermostat cover, the valve inside is spring loaded and opens via heat so there should be no moving parts as per say, it is heat (or cooling in reverse) that moves the spring.

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Hi VNCommodoreBraah, did an engine light test and came up with code 33 MAP sensor, found that it was not plugged into the throttle body. Plugged it in and started engine, it ran smoothly first go, then checked engine light again and came up with code 33, have taken out engine fuse at the moment while I get a cuppa and write this. Prior to engine change I never had any error codes come up, so do MAP sensors just die?? Thanks in advance.
not to sure about them dieing , you might be able to give the sensor a clean is the car running okay still ?