Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Yes it is a big problem.
The thermostat is held down by the thermostat cover, the valve inside is spring loaded and opens via heat so there should be no moving parts as per say, it is heat (or cooling in reverse) that moves the spring.
yes it is very weird, it's all put together properly as well.

TONY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP wagon
Reconnected MAP sensor and fuse, checked system and got code 12, started engine ran for a while at +/- 2100 rpm, turned off and checked system and got code 12. Did notice tho while I was increasing revs to 2K engine appeared to want to die at about 1500 to 1800 rpm but recovered. I will take it for a road test a bit later this arvo. One thing that is still niggling me is that I hope the gearbox changes gear otherwise in those immortal words of Arnie "I'll be back!"

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
Reconnected MAP sensor and fuse, checked system and got code 12, started engine ran for a while at +/- 2100 rpm, turned off and checked system and got code 12. Did notice tho while I was increasing revs to 2K engine appeared to want to die at about 1500 to 1800 rpm but recovered. I will take it for a road test a bit later this arvo. One thing that is still niggling me is that I hope the gearbox changes gear otherwise in those immortal words of Arnie "I'll be back!"
okay too easy, is it running fine or does it seem sluggish? and yes hopefully it changes gears, other wise there's more problems.

TONY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP wagon
OK, took the car for a run, purrs like a lion (extractors and 2/34" exhaust system) anyhow, it would change into second at about 40km/h revving at 4K. My son has a stallie in his VY and the VP appears to react the same way. He said it is as if the VP has the power switch is on (it doesn't have one) When the VP was a manual we never had to drive it this hard for gear changes (never did) Also the kick down did not work, should there be a little tension on the cable at the throttle or should it be loose. Another also I haven't been able to find out anything about a plug just forward of the speed sender on the gearbox, I have also adjusted the shift linkage to gearbox so that there is no play( should there be some play?) And it does not run sluggish.

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
OK, took the car for a run, purrs like a lion (extractors and 2/34" exhaust system) anyhow, it would change into second at about 40km/h revving at 4K. My son has a stallie in his VY and the VP appears to react the same way. He said it is as if the VP has the power switch is on (it doesn't have one) When the VP was a manual we never had to drive it this hard for gear changes (never did) Also the kick down did not work, should there be a little tension on the cable at the throttle or should it be loose. Another also I haven't been able to find out anything about a plug just forward of the speed sender on the gearbox, I have also adjusted the shift linkage to gearbox so that there is no play( should there be some play?) And it does not run sluggish.
oh okay, and it should have tension in it not to much but it shouldn't be loose

VNCommodoreBraah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
alight everyone tomorrow I'm going to do spark plugs leads, O2 sensor an temp sensor hope this fixes my issue...

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L

had a JC mate stop by couple weeks back (elmf) his vn calais was revving too high at random times, sitting on 1500 2k on idol. i watched the throttle body while he revved the engine. turns out his throttle body was sticking open a little and not going back home position. took to the tension spring and the surrounds with liberal amounts of wd-40, problem fixed.

the kick down cable has to be adjusted just right on each car, theres no one setting for every car. you just have to take it for a test run and pull over to adjust the clicks forward or backward based on what rpm's it should be shifting at. think the tighter you put the cable the earlier it shifts, or vice versa cant remember exactly....

TONY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP wagon
Thanks hi_ryder, I'll give it a go in a couple of days, I transport dialysis clients to and from hospital(not in my own car)* so will be busy with that for a while.
* I drive a VE s/wagon for the transport company and the engine light came on and on the lcd display the engine and lightning bolt flashes, the company took it to Ultratune and they quoted $950.00 to replace a sensor!
LONG LIVE THE OLDER COMMODORES!!

TONY4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP wagon
BTW when my son was testing the car the other day it turns out he was driving it in Overdrive, that may have had something to do with the high rpm's