Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Commodore, missing, chewing fuel and coil packs?

Reecespieces

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 SS commodore
Okay i have a 92 Vp, 3.6 auto

This tank has got close to 500k on the clock, i paid next to nothing for het, but she is pristine...
I have had nothing but respect for the old girl and treat it like royalty trying to make it last untill my new commodores shipped here from home NZ,

SO I HAVE NEVER HAD A CAR WITH OVER 100k on it, so i service it every 2k, i have done the plugs, leads, fuel filter, obviously the oil an filter, air filter and a new radiator. (Thankfully im in carparts trade)

My commodore seems to be using alot more fuel over last few weeks, almost double what it used to, it also has a slight miss every now an again when i put my foot down, and to start it, it winds over quite a few times before catching and running (rough as hell) for about 10sec before getting itself in rhythm.

I imagine it could be coil packs? Im not a mechanic though, i also assume they are factory as they have the 1,2 3 on them, any other way of knowing?

Other issue, which im not so concerned about, is the auto trans, it drives perfect... When warm!
When cold, it wont go past 2nd, will rev right out before changing,
I have serviced the trans twice now, 1st time it was filthy, i waited 2k before doing it again, fluid, filter an all again, still no improvement, its not too bad and it is better, i always start my car an leave in neutral for 10min before going anywhere an its never a problem, but a fix for that would be great.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Coils that were originally fitted the the vehicle on the assembly line have the cylinder numbers marked on them. Genuine replacement coils dont have the cylinders marked on them..

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
for the transmission, check under this cover (thinks its three 10mm bolts) there should be an accumulator spring. they commonly break, half the vn vp tranny's ive serviced ive replaced that spring.

232323232%7Ffp73465%3Enu%3D4893%3E592%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B%3A7775%3B6345nu0mrj

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Check the fuel pressure to rule out the regulator.
Sometimes even just pulling the vacuum line off the reg and smelling fuel is enough to warrant replacement if you don't have a fuel pressure tester.