Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ statesman with VP 5L problems

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Get rid of the 3YO fuel for starters. Check the plugs and earths as above. The main earth for most things in a VP/VQ is bolted to the body alongside the battery- but there are 10-20 others scattered about.

binnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ
What does the ignition itinerary module do... can I bypass or rewire it.

I got a new battery hooked it up to all the visible wires .

Fuel pump lights, Interior all working

The dash has engine light on not 'use remote' not 0 vs at the distributor power supply ? What else could it be... I took out the ignition module and swapped still nothing ... under the glovebox I don't see a anti theft module, if anyone has a pic of one or the plug then I could tell if it's been removed.

binnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ
What does the ignition itinerary module do... can I bypass or rewire it.

I got a new battery hooked it up to all the visible wires .

Fuel pump lights, Interior all working

The dash has engine light on not 'use remote' not 0 vs at the distributor power supply ? What else could it be... I took out the ignition module and swapped still nothing ... under the glovebox I don't see a anti theft module, if anyone has a pic of one or the plug then I could tell if it's been removed.
I'll send a pic of how the coils wired up. Will the coil be getting constant power 12V before starting the engine ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The anti theft module will be in the door A - pillar. Next to the glove box.

It was earlier advised to see what engine codes are there. No feedback on the results. You put a paper clip in the ALDL port. The engine light will flash up on the dash a number of times and may have a short pause in between which represents a change of number. You count the flashes. Eg. 32 will be three flashes followed by a pause and then two flashes. That repeats until the bridged connection is removed.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-your-computer-for-faults-vn-vp.3937/

This will give everyone a better starting point.

Get the old fuel sorted. Fresh fuel and octane booster.

Do a fuel pressure test.

Put a new dizzy cap and rotor in. Put some new leads in. New plugs. Check and clean coil connections. Fricken earths. Check them, and not by looking at them. Get them undone, cleaned, inspect for weakness and reinstall. Is the oil level good?

Having A Break

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goggomobile
You are relying on here say from the previous owner. Did it really run? Why no keys?
....The keys were lost but the engine was all good and with keys will turn over but won't get spark....

This will be a costly exercise. I bought a VP Calais that I dubbed "Problem Child". So far I have fixed or rectified 46 items. That would have cost a bomb, however most items I have repaired myself.

From what you have said, it doesn't seem you are 'car guy' enough to tackle the issues you have. No disrespect intended.

Here is the 'Zadi Key' slot, you may not have the sticker showing off/on positionsView attachment 259446

If it's on, you will need to access the kick panel area. Remove the panel and behind it there is a steel plate that needs to be unriveted. The rivets are SS and tricky to remove. Behind the plate and on the back of the switch there are 2 pink wires that need to be joined. That will disable the immobilizer in the absense of the key.

binnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ
You are relying on here say from the previous owner. Did it really run? Why no keys?

This will be a costly exercise. I bought a VP Calais that I dubbed "Problem Child". So far I have fixed or rectified 46 items. That would have cost a bomb, however most items I have repaired myself.

From what you have said, it doesn't seem you are 'car guy' enough to tackle the issues you have. No disrespect intended.

Here is the 'Zadi Key' slot, you may not have the sticker showing off/on positionsView attachment 259446

If it's on, you will need to access the kick panel area. Remove the panel and behind it there is a steel plate that needs to be unriveted. The rivets are SS and tricky to remove. Behind the plate and on the back of the switch there are 2 pink wires that need to be joined. That will disable the immobilizer in the absense of the key.
I am engineer not a car guy. But I can work **** out...

So far I got it cracking and can't locate the switch thanks for the picture. On the dash I don't see use remote so it seems the previous guy worried it up as in closed the circuit.

The coil isn't getting power. Checked it with the multi.. seems I might need to swap the ECM

Swapped fuel filter and pumps.. it's getting fresh fuel

binnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ
The anti theft module will be in the door A - pillar. Next to the glove box.

It was earlier advised to see what engine codes are there. No feedback on the results. You put a paper clip in the ALDL port. The engine light will flash up on the dash a number of times and may have a short pause in between which represents a change of number. You count the flashes. Eg. 32 will be three flashes followed by a pause and then two flashes. That repeats until the bridged connection is removed.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-your-computer-for-faults-vn-vp.3937/

This will give everyone a better starting point.

Get the old fuel sorted. Fresh fuel and octane booster.

Do a fuel pressure test.

Put a new dizzy cap and rotor in. Put some new leads in. New plugs. Check and clean coil connections. Fricken earths. Check them, and not by looking at them. Get them undone, cleaned, inspect for weakness and reinstall. Is the oil level good?
Doing this.. I'll get the codes

Having A Break

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goggomobile
Have you checked if the injectors are being pulsed.
Are the spark plugs wet.
My Cal had the Zadi Key off and I was still getting the 'Press Remote" chime so I hooked the wire going into the dash (connector 4 plug-in).

Last edited:

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
I am engineer not a car guy. But I can work **** out...

So far I got it cracking and can't locate the switch thanks for the picture. On the dash I don't see use remote so it seems the previous guy worried it up as in closed the circuit.

The coil isn't getting power. Checked it with the multi.. seems I might need to swap the ECM

Swapped fuel filter and pumps.. it's getting fresh fuel

If you are sure you are getting a no spark condition and the coil isn't getting power I would troubleshoot all wiring off coil following schematics.

If you try an ECU careful with non reconditioned items as they may also be faulty....happened to me.