Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ statesman with VP 5L problems

binnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ
I had a VP calais. The switch on the door only turns the alarm off. Not the immobiliser. If you don't have the the correct key fob, the car will not start. Hence why you are not getting spark.
If you do have the correct key fob and the doors unlock when you press the remote, then you can rule out security/bcm issues and start looking into electrical issues as everyone has suggested (coil, dizzy, ignition module, earths and then ecu as last resort). If all those things check out ok then one thing I would try, is running 12v directly to the coil and kick it over a couple times to see if it fires and check to see if it's getting spark by taking out one of the spark plugs and earthing it to the engine.
Okay when I got up today I thought this was probably the problem.. the previous owner dropped the keys in a fire...

How do I get another set of keys with the immobiliser. I hear there is a a 'grain of rice' or chip in the key is that correct ? Is that the fob?

Having A Break

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goggomobile
Unfortunately Mongoose AU no longer sell the 2 button remote for these.
I checked when I was working on my VP.
Yes the fob has the transponder.
I like that grain of rice bit lol.

Last edited:

Having A Break

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goggomobile
If you are getting the engine icon on the dash then the immobilizer has been bypassed.
Doesn't the 'Press Remote' status change to 'Engine' when able to start?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
How do I get another set of keys with the immobiliser. I hear there is a a 'grain of rice' or chip in the key is that correct ? Is that the fob?
There is no grain of rice chip in a VQ key. Then my original started to get a bit iffy and lost range, I took the spare key to a locksmith and he reprogrammed another fob from it using an electronic fob blank.

If you have a key fob that works- it turns the press key symbol to an engine symbol- you can use it to program more keys

From memory the cost was around $80.

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
The only other option is to send ecm or memcal to a programmer and get them to remove/turn off vats. About $80 to do.

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
If you are getting the engine icon on the dash then the immobilizer has been bypassed.
Doesn't the 'Press Remote' status change to 'Engine' when able to start?
You might be right tho I can't remember when I had mine. Been too long. If that is the case then it would suggest an issue with the ecm or memcal/eeprom.

Having A Break

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goggomobile
....I couldn't get an error code. It just gave engine light on - no flashes....

The engine light will appear whenever the key is turned to 'on'.
Are you sure your test was adequately performed, ie...View attachment 259756
....join the two terminals in the red box.
If no flash, then further investigation is required.

binnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ
Thanks I'll try tomorrow. Dizzy and new coils on the way and earthing the engine in more than one spot at the alternator is needed I think... only see one up right side of engine near alternator mount