Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ statesman with VP 5L problems

binnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ
Do VQ keys have a chip in them.

Previous owner had the keys but dropped then on a fire and the burnt.. he told me there is a grain of 'rice' in the keybthat does something with the ignition he had that but then lost the grain of rice which I presume would be a crystal or chip.

I start the car by taking off the black plug behind the barrel and turning with a screwdriver

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
VQII keys have a chip in them. When you press an enabling button in the key fob it allows the BCM to start the engine and a" press remote" icon at the bottom of the dash cluster switches to an engine icon.

There is no way the car will start without the engine icon at the bottom of the dash cluster.

Having A Break

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goggomobile
....he told me there is a grain of 'rice' in the keybthat does something with the ignition he had that but then lost the grain of rice....

Last edited:

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens

Having A Break

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goggomobile
....Doing this.. I'll get the codes....
You didn't post back with the results.
No one has mentioned this, so I'll state the obvious, did you check all fuses.
The ones in the engine bay under the black cover, and inside the swing down panel adjacent to the steering wheel.
Pull out individually and check with multimeter. Sometimes there is a hairline fracture between the two terminals and the fuse link.

Last edited:

binnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ
You didn't post back with the results.
No one has mentioned this, so I'll state the obvious, did you check all fuses.
The ones in the engine bay under the black cover, and inside the swing down panel adjacent to the steering wheel.
Pull out individually and check with multimeter. Sometimes there is a hairline fracture between the two terminals and the fuse link.
I couldn't get an error code. It just gave engine light on - no flashes

I'll check all the terminals for fuses I checked the fuses. Do I check resistance across the two terminals

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you have an ALDL connector, connect the terminal with the brown/white wire to the terminal with a white/black wire . The ECM should flash the engine check light with a 12 signal.

There should be +5V on the white/black wire. The white black wire is connected to terminal A9 on the ECM and the brown/white to A5.

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
I had a VP calais. The switch on the door only turns the alarm off. Not the immobiliser. If you don't have the the correct key fob, the car will not start. Hence why you are not getting spark.
If you do have the correct key fob and the doors unlock when you press the remote, then you can rule out security/bcm issues and start looking into electrical issues as everyone has suggested (coil, dizzy, ignition module, earths and then ecu as last resort). If all those things check out ok then one thing I would try, is running 12v directly to the coil and kick it over a couple times to see if it fires and check to see if it's getting spark by taking out one of the spark plugs and earthing it to the engine.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thing that sticks out to me is the previous owner apparently threw the keys into a fire.

My question is, why? Get answers to this and you might get part way to solving the problem