Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ statesman with VP 5L problems

Having A Break

Reaction score
Members Ride
Goggomobile
Have a look at the earth block on the inner RHF guard left of the battery. There is a junction of about 3-4 wires. On my VP these were not even finger tight. Undo them, clean the area to bare metal and rub the terminals with 400 WD sandpaper. Star washers here are mandatory.
Just check the earth @ the LHR rear of engine that bolts to the engine lift hook with the 9/16 spanner. Many a time this is the forgotten item.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Thanks I'll try tomorrow. Dizzy and new coils on the way and earthing the engine in more than one spot at the alternator is needed I think... only see one up right side of engine near alternator mount
Did you try to get codes as described by @Having A Break ?

If you did and got no response reseat ECU connector and connections from ECU to module.

Sometimes with these cars when good connections are disturbed a poor one may ensure so they need cleaning and reseating.

You should get error code 12.

When I couldn't get codes my engine light was constantly flickering.....and it turned out was a faulty ECU.

In your case with a solid engine light on on, it could be a bad connection to module giving no spark.