Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 verses VE V6

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Utes have always been that way inclined as the have absolutely no weight over the rear axle unless you throw half a dozen bags of cement in the tray, then it's carrying too much weight and slows it down.

No win situation you've got there Losh.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Utes aren't as bad as everybody says. Good tyres make a MASSIVE difference here. Had re92's on mine when it had the v6 and would skate everywhere in the slightest drizzle with an open diff and the lsd - absolutely frightening. Have had r003's and kumho hs51's since and cant even get it to spin in the wet at full throttle without the brake with those - and it's a V8 now.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yep RE92's are great circle work tyres so they tell me. They seem to be wanted for Saturday night entertainment by the younger generation.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Utes aren't as bad as everybody says. Good tyres make a MASSIVE difference here. Had re92's on mine when it had the v6 and would skate everywhere in the slightest drizzle with an open diff and the lsd - absolutely frightening. Have had r003's and kumho hs51's since and cant even get it to spin in the wet at full throttle without the brake with those - and it's a V8 now.

Sounds like the tune needs a tickle up. I think Holden kept the tunes lame for these types of reasons. I'm sure I had 235/45/17's R001's on my old VN V6 and even with the LSD it would smoke em if you have it a few revs and let the clutch go.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My ute will go like a bastard if you nail it. But I rarely do as I try to conserve fuel plus you end up going over the speed limit and my luck I would have an officer around the corner.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sounds like the tune needs a tickle up. I think Holden kept the tunes lame for these types of reasons. I'm sure I had 235/45/17's R001's on my old VN V6 and even with the LSD it would smoke em if you have it a few revs and let the clutch go.
The IRS is the big factor I feel with how much they squat with soft springs. The live axle variants spin up much more easily, but good tyres still make a huge difference.

Mines been tuned, small cam, twin exhaust etc and goes really well for what it is (heaps better than the l67’s I’ve had). Stock 3.08 gears though

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ahh, yes IRS and that bloody squat....

My solution for the Senator will be some Viking double adjustable shocks :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah early IRS Holden really struggled in those early days. I was put off a VT because of the terrible rear suspension which i needed a good rear end for towing. Ended up with a Falcon that had no suspension issues apart from tyre scrub on the front. Engine wise though I wish I had an Eco rather than the grey top.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'm with EYY utes need decent amount of v8 power so they step out nicely...lol

Tbh good tyres,decent suspension in good condition they're even with shiftkit & short diff gears.

Back to moooooooo talk

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm with EYY utes need decent amount of v8 power so they step out nicely...lol

Can we get this thread back on topic now? Isn't it about the comparison of the Buick and Alloy? :p:p