Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS front brakes

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Personally I'd just get new discs/pads/brake hoses...rebuild calipers & sliders if you want to go that far.

Can be done quite cheap if shop around for parts & d.i.y

They've got decent brakes when in good condition.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
But all gone now bye 500
Lol, I don't need to spend my money, you seem to have managed that! !!!
All I've bought so far is new strut top mounts as drivers side one was broken, new vs replacement brake pads and some of that bendix lube .
The vx discs and calipers I have are off my V2 monaro and they've been collecting dust in the corner of my garage .

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Personally I'd just get new discs/pads/brake hoses...rebuild calipers & sliders if you want to go that far.

Can be done quite cheap if shop around for parts & d.i.y

They've got decent brakes when in good condition.
Yeah sore a full caliper rebuild kit for $99 on eBay, which includes new pistons , ( of course if I get this kit my pistons will be ok and if I don't they'll be fxxked), would probably go a decent set of dba discs , just had a look on eBay $135 +$9 for front braided brake lines .
The bendix pads I got were $85 .
So getting up to the $500 evBenji is spending for me on my modified ones ( sorry just had had to throw that in).
And that's the point, unless you scrimp and save all the options are within around $300
I will more than likely go with rebuilding the standard set up for the ease of not modding anything. The monaro's standard brakes are not going anywhere so I can aways go down that path in the future .
Had a look to see if I'd kept any of my old pads but couldn't find any, I'll have one more look tomorrow, will probably throw the old pads in for now but won't be able to use it too much. Just saves new pads until I fit new discs or if I curve ball it and mod anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you get braids all round with overhauled calipers and new rotors your gonna see a massive diff to what you had. I know I did and I'm yet to overhaul and braid the rears. What Bendix did you buy in the end. I've read a fair amount on Ultimates being a bit harsh on rotors unless you're doing a lot of hard braking.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had new pads, rotors and rebuilt calipers in the car for 6 months....Then I changed to standard VT twin piston calipers, Bendix pads (unsure of the style, but they were free) and el-cheapo rotors ($90 for a pair).....Quite a marked improvement, even before I changed to braided hoses (another improvement) and yet to do recoed 1" bore master cylinder.

I'll admit it didn't help my car being hit up the backside....Hang on, maybe that's why it got hit up the backside....The brakes were too good...:)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah , there is also a kit on eBay with all six braided brake lines for $281 I think plus I'm quessing postage.
The docket says bendix general ct pads , I'll have a look on the box tomorrow.
Got them from Newcastles subsidiary/ reaps of rare spares.
As much as I want to use my monaro discs and calipers ( you can see the big increase in pad area ) , for the simplicity of refurbishing the original set up and knowing I'll still get an improvement on 22 year old will be a win.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I had new pads, rotors and rebuilt calipers in the car for 6 months....Then I changed to standard VT twin piston calipers, Bendix pads (unsure of the style, but they were free) and el-cheapo rotors ($90 for a pair).....Quite a marked improvement, even before I changed to braided hoses (another improvement) and yet to do recoed 1" bore master cylinder.

I'll admit it didn't help my car being hit up the backside....Hang on, maybe that's why it got hit up the backside....The brakes were too good...:)
I have a vt.
I was thinking of upgrading my brakes a few years ago, to the 4 or 6 piston race brakes. Then started thinking if l had to pull up in hurry, l may pull up in time but the lawyer in the mercedes behind me may not, &collect my rear end. He may find out that l have the race brakes, & sue me for causing the accident (just a thought as shxt happens).
Anyway at the moment l'm rebuiding my brakes so far f/r rotors & brake pads $260.00, seals f/r pistons,slide pins, anti shudder 7 delivery $325.00. I have these parts. Still needing hoses, master cylinder kit. So far best price l can get braided hoses f/r for $250.00 l think maybe? M/c $250.00. I asked for a kit, but maybe that was for the m/c itself. So about $1085.00? Thats front & back for a vt.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have a vt.
I was thinking of upgrading my brakes a few years ago, to the 4 or 6 piston race brakes. Then started thinking if l had to pull up in hurry, l may pull up in time but the lawyer in the mercedes behind me may not, &collect my rear end. He may find out that l have the race brakes, & sue me for causing the accident (just a thought as shxt happens).
Anyway at the moment l'm rebuiding my brakes so far f/r rotors & brake pads $260.00, seals f/r pistons,slide pins, anti shudder 7 delivery $325.00. I have these parts. Still needing hoses, master cylinder kit. So far best price l can get braided hoses f/r for $250.00 l think maybe? M/c $250.00. I asked for a kit, but maybe that was for the m/c itself. So about $1085.00? Thats front & back for a vt.

Going from memory....VT calipers $20 pair...No kit needed....Hub adaptors to suit VC to VT rotors $400 ish....Brake pads Freebies through a good mate...Rotors $90 the pair (they are crap)...Braided lines $120 ish the pair...1" master cylinder kit $40...Total $650 ish....Probably be more if I got decent rotors and coughed up for brake pads

Yeah, had the person try to sue me for causing the accident, but she ended up with a $3,500 repair bill....Not that it matters as she skipped state before coughing up

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Stock doesnt save lives?

Youve got to waste 500 bucks on upgrades before youre safe?

Then next week when a granny drives into your side and writes off your car you be like fk should spent the 500 on on my family instead of the stupid car lol

But all gone now bye 500

We're all being conned to invest into get better and waste money including me but stock is outstanding enough else wouldnt holden and repco be sued

But yes hpx is prob a tad better than silverline

Just like how asics are likely better than target shoes :)

All 2nd gen Commodores were under braked especially by modern standards. Yes, sometimes I question how places like supercheap and repco can sell brake components that are worse than the original OEM stuff.

Once you drive a VS with improved brakes and then go back to stock it is scary. Stock brakes are fine depending on how you drive, if you like to drive "enthusiastically" then you will very quickly find the limits.

Realistically, after 22 years, stock brakes probably aren't close to how they performed when new. Spending a little coin on the safety aspect of a vehicle is a wise thing.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
**** , .
Yeah got harrop 4 spot calipers and their 343mm discs on my monaro , all round.
They were not cheap but are on a whole different level to the standard vx brakes .
To get it engineered with the supercharger , needed to improve the brakes for him to engineer the car.