Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Headlight Problem

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pics of the black plugs, showing the bit the globes push into. Also the globes and if you can a pic of the wiring.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What I'm trying to determine is how they powered the ballasts and whether they hacked and tapped or just plugged a spade terminal into your existing plugs.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
What I'm trying to determine is how they powered the ballasts and whether they hacked and tapped or just plugged a spade terminal into your existing plugs.
The ballasts were just connected to battery. They are out now. So battery>ballast>wire to globe and wire to existing driver side globe plug. Passenger side globe plug had 2 prongs from a spot light plugged into it. This is where it is black as if burnt out. I'll do the pics when I can.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That is sounding like a problem to me already. The original plug and harness is not designed to drive spot lights. Halogen spotties are often 100w. Has any of wires melted? As a first thing you will a new H4 plug and terminals, possibly two if the other side is the same.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You're fortunate that driving a spotlight on the existing loom without additional cabling and relays didn't burn out your switch, had there been two spotties it may have.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
You're fortunate that driving a spotlight on the existing loom without additional cabling and relays didn't burn out your switch, had there been two spotties it may have.
I'm not sure if it is a spot light. I just called it that but I think it is called a bar light? I just tried to upload photos but they are saying they are too big. I'm not sure how to show you. We installed a new blinker about a month ago and it is blown. Put in headlights and only the left is working. The one on the side where the blinker blew isn't working. That is where it is all black from that bar light.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Led light bar.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Ok so it is definitely the plug stopping the headlight from working now. I will have to order a replacement online as no parts shops have it here now the h3 globes are an issue. I pulled out the hids but low and behold there are 2 plugs and the h3 only has 1 thing to plug in? What the heck man? Why can't this be simpler? How many non car-savvy women does it take to change a light bulb?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

How? Commodore headlights from VN onward are wired via a relay for each circuit (headlight/high beam) and a fuse so there should be no load on the headlight switch.