Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Headlight Problem

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Use an image hosting site, most people here are using imgur

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
A) h4 connector that is burned
B) one of the bar light plugs that was connected to the burned h4 connector
C) the bar light and where the ballast for the h3 was
D) closer look at ballast
E) close view of altered h3 cover with the wires from the hid h3 connected to ballast
F) h3 cover viewed from further back to give a better idea of where it is
G) no idea. It was hanging there when I removed the h4 hid kit

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I did manage to get a look at those pics. It looks like they have wired into the secondary high beam lights which is why they have cut into those covers and have the wires running into the housings there. The burned plug is probably the reason the headlight won't go, will need to replace the plug and hopefully it will work then.

For the secondary high beam lights you should be able to remove the extra wires they put in, put in the correct bulb, plug them in and hopefully it should work. If it doesn't you might need to find an auto electrician and see why you're not getting power at the bulbs.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I did manage to get a look at those pics. It looks like they have wired into the secondary high beam lights which is why they have cut into those covers and have the wires running into the housings there. The burned plug is probably the reason the headlight won't go, will need to replace the plug and hopefully it will work then.

For the secondary high beam lights you should be able to remove the extra wires they put in, put in the correct bulb, plug them in and hopefully it should work. If it doesn't you might need to find an auto electrician and see why you're not getting power at the bulbs.
Hi. Yeah they had hid high beams in there. I took them out and put standard h3 55s in there. The left side works but the side where they plugged the bar light into the 3 pin h4 connector doesn't work. I've ordered the connector on eBay. Hopefully it will all come together.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've had a look at mine. The main bulb is H4 and the one up top is indeed H3. The ground on the H3 at least gets it from a wire attached to the retainer. So hopefully once you change the burn out plugs you should have lights again. You could dismantle the burnt plug and test for power using a test light while you wait for the new plug to arrive.

Josephine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I've had a look at mine. The main bulb is H4 and the one up top is indeed H3. The ground on the H3 at least gets it from a wire attached to the retainer. So hopefully once you change the burn out plugs you should have lights again. You could dismantle the burnt plug and test for power using a test light while you wait for the new plug to arrive.
Yeah I'll have to go buy one and have a fiddle. Thanks for your help buddy

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
So
Once the h4 plug is connected you shouldnt need a separate ground. It should ground through the plug. Also cars don't have earth like a few people say. Earth is on buildings.
Sorry Old Mate, I always have called the negative from battery to body and earth strap. Ask any auto elect and the first thing they say is to check the earths.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So

Sorry Old Mate, I always have called the negative from battery to body and earth strap. Ask any auto elect and the first thing they say is to check the earths.

1280px-HomeEarthRodAustralia1.jpg

Earth.....;);)