Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt coolant problem broke down

marksmith1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodre vt 1998
Hi guys, I have a 1999 commodore vt and a few days ago the gearbox died in the middle of nowhere had to drive it 150k to a garage. It drove fine but when I went to start it up an hour after driving that far the temp started going up to nearly fully hot then down again. I got a tow and got the gbox replaced and the guys there bled my radiator for me.

I've drove 750 km over the last two days since that,and its been fine. Went to nip out to the shops and it started rising and falling again so we turned around to head home but 500m from.the hotel it carried on rising and there was a pop. I had a nose around and I think the bottom radiator hose let the pressure out, it drove the last 500m fine and didn't show hot at all.

I'm going to bleed it in the morning but I wondered if anyone has any thoughts or advice on this? Its strange that its happened again and we really need to.get to Brisbane to start working. The fan is still pulling in when it should.

Thanks for your help, Mark.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
with a broken gearbox i would expect the motor to over heat if you had to limp a car to a garage
check
make sure heater turned on when . bleeding /burping/topping up the cooling system
thermostat sticking or
air trapped in the coolant .. is the heater valve ok
radiaitor cap ok

marksmith1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodre vt 1998
I had a look today and a pipe has snapped off on the heater tap I've just picked a new one up now I'm going to clean out the pipes fill up the rad and bleed it will thathat be all that's needed for swapping it? Do I need to go buy coolant or will just water be OK?

Cheers, Mark.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
yes coolant is required all the time on a commadore

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
tap water will eat out the block and the heads in no time. distilled water is ok for a short period. coolant definitely.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i would use straight water for a few days until you are sure there are no further leaks then drain and add coolant