Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Commodore mods P plater edition

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
P Plater I am but I am 20 not 17 .. I've had to do the 12 months Learners period twice due to suspension and law changes. So if you're assuming I can't handle a high performance car you are mistaken sir. The only thing restricting me is the provisional laws.

From this I gather you are a typical youngster that thinks he is the best driver out there.....

News flash mate.....Suspensions happen due to errors on your behalf......Thinking you can handle a high performance car has wider ramifications than actually handling one......

Another little clue to your creditionals is you have mechanical abilities, yet spent $1500 at a mechanic.....Doesn't add up to well to me....

My suggestion is, spend 12 months behind the wheel, before you contemplate any modification suggested.....We have all been young at some point and have made mistakes....We just don't want your mistake to be fatal

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'm after ideas for what I should do with my commodore for a bit more power It's stock as a rock I'm the third owner. All I've done to it is replaced the front hub bearing and spent about 1500$ at the mechanics on bullsh#t. So far I've come up with
> k&n filter
> new or bigger throttle body(mech said needs to be cleaned)
> a shift kit, possibly in the future.
> decent exhaust system

Well that's all I've got so far. I just wanna hear some money conscious upgrades that I can do myself, fairly mechanically competent, I've done work on trail bikes since I was 12, rebuilds etc. So kinda can do most things myself just don't wanna pay $$$ for simple stuff I can do myself. Cheers in advance

Here is my advice , take it or leave it , I see you've done maintenance on trail bikes , that's good , then transfer that knowledge to your car , learn every single thing about the car , down to the last nut and bolt , how everything works , how to clean the throttle body, change the plugs and leads , do a complete oil change on the engine , and if you're feeling rash and impetuous the transmission , as I said that's my advice .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you have to play around with your car to make it better, here are a few simple suggestions that will not only make it "perform" better, but will also make it safer.

Make sure the brakes, steering and suspension are as close to new condition as possible. New bushes, seals, pads and brake fluid will make a huge difference. That doesn't mean dump the car so its arse drags the ground. Surefire cop bait for a P plater (and stupid anyway). New shocks or struts and no slack in the steering.

Fix these things first, keep your licensed intact ( which you obviously have trouble doing) and then, when the P's are history, think about more go.

But I still bet you won't.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If you have to play around with your car to make it better, here are a few simple suggestions that will not only make it "perform" better, but will also make it safer.

Make sure the brakes, steering and suspension are as close to new condition as possible. New bushes, seals, pads and brake fluid will make a huge difference. That doesn't mean dump the car so its arse drags the ground. Surefire cop bait for a P plater (and stupid anyway). New shocks or struts and no slack in the steering.

Fix these things first, keep your licensed intact ( which you obviously have trouble doing) and then, when the P's are history, think about more go.

But I still bet you won't.

quite right , lowering it , putting a fart cannon exhaust on also , will only incur the wrath and attention of the Police ,
I hope he listens , but something in me thinks he wont either .

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I'm booking an advanced driving course ASAP to broaden my driving skills and help me control a high performance vehicle

That's a good idea if you are actually serious about doing one.
At the end of the day almost anyone can handle a car of any performance level under "normal" driving circumstances.
But what are normal driving conditions anyway ?
When it suddenly all goes wrong in the blink of an eye, that's when inexperienced drivers don't have the ability or experience to control the situation.

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the mods you've listed will do bugger all powerwise don't waste your cash get a v8 when you can make it drive nice is about all you can do.

H

harrop.senator

Don't waste your money on anything more then a used $200 set of pacies and pipes or a $150 manual lsd unit for it to get both wheels locking up and shortly slighter gears.

Also I'll get on the band wagon of everyone thinking they can drive Male , Female young or old. In my opinion under .5% of people are performance drivers and some of them aren't old enough to hold a road license.

Ive been drifting since 19. Had a big block v8 on ps and a rb25 converted r31 set up for drift and daily a 9 second bike at 25 lol. Ive still only ever pranged one car and I blame the $38+ gst Brand New front tyres and Mexican wave shocks still can't believe it didn't pull up and that was a few months ago lol.

Don't bother arguing with people on the internet over your driving skills apparently everybody but a person under 25 is a skilled professional. Yet I get cut off and stuck 10k under the speed limit by grown folk all day.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Don't bother arguing with people on the internet over your driving skills apparently everybody but a person under 25 is a skilled professional. Yet I get cut off and stuck 10k under the speed limit by grown folk all day.

Nup. Just older and a lot wiser.
He's 20 and already lost his licence twice. That says bucketloads for his maturity and attitude whilst driving.

H

harrop.senator

Just means he got caught if I had a dollar for every Middle aged to elderly blokes car ive serviced where you gave to kick the beer tins out from under your feet to test drive it lol. I work next to a pub and legit have them drop cars off for work and then sit at the pub next door til it's fixed lol.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Getting caught for a traffic offence that carries a fine is one thing. Getting caught for something serious enough to justify license suspension or disqualification on two occasions before you've been driving for three years is something completely different.

What idiotic older drivers do is irrelevant. Hopefully, they lose their licences without killing someone too.