Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY inner tie rods

Eats shop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx 2002 calais
I really wish I'd read this! I have just pulled my rack end out and went to put a new one in and I was wondering why it wouldn't fit. Like I'd ruined the tread and then the old one wouldn't go back on!! So now I guess I'll have to get a new rack?
Oh **** why didn't I read this First!!

crispin

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore wagon v6
Same on VT & VX, half the time it wrecks the thread in the rack undoing the rack ends.
30 second job to run a tap down it and very easy (once you have the tap) make sure to clean the thread out properly with brake/carby cleaner and use thread locker when installing new rackends.

Another problem with the racks is the passenger side bush wears in the rack itself, when checking it looks like the rackend is stuffed, if the boot is peeled back and do the same check you will see the inside of the rack moving up and not the ball joint on the rackend.
what size is the tap please is for my vy sedan thanks gav

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
Okay I just gone thru this head f**k, theres old school people or people who have done the job and there's been lock washers and that's all they know after doing the job but if you do you steering rack arms on vy or a vz, there will be NO LOCK WASHER ON THE STEERING RACK.. Holden press them in at the factory.. because of that, you will Need slightly redo the thread with a tap and LOCKTITE THE THREADS WHEN YOU PUT BACK IN..
I have herd there the same on vt and vx.. so many arguments has been on this topic, only the ones who go thru cross threading there brand new tie rods who really knows their no washers there for vy and vz