Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY No crank, No ECU, No Windows, No central Locking Just got the SS running last week, turned out to be a RESOLVED

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
Hi all
VY SS LS1 Auto
I've brought someone else's project, the engine has been out of the car for 1 year and now I've put it back together but it wont start.

Issues I've found so far
No central locking
No power windows
No OBD2 port power
No fuel pump
No crank

The dash is working and lights up with Contact Dealer.
If I turn the key really quickly from off to start it will crank for 2 seconds then cut out.
The battery is new and fully charged (12.6 volts )
Have visually checked all fuses
Have checked and cleaned the earths

Im thinking its a Key/BCM/ slip ring issue.
Is it worth trying getting the battery replaced on the key or getting a new key?
Anyone have any ideas as to the issue or diagnostic ideas?

Cheers
Brad

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Get a genuine new key.
I’d be looking at a decent higher end scan tool so you can see what systems are happy. You’ll also be able to link a new key to the vehicle without paying someone to do it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Have you had the PCM, PIM and BCM re-linked?

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
Have you had the PCM, PIM and BCM re-linked?
No, when is that required? How do you do that?
Nothing has been replaced, just the engine out to do gaskets.
Didn't think that was required unless something was replaced

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well that should be how it is. However something has gone awry and taking those steps might be required.

Also, without a scan tool to see what system is talking to what, it’s going to be hard to resolve.

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
Well that should be how it is. However something has gone awry and taking those steps might be required.

Also, without a scan tool to see what system is talking to what, it’s going to be hard to resolve.
Will a professional scan tool e.g Tech 2 work? My cheap scan tool isn't powering up. I know v6 VY use ALDL but I thought the ls1 used obd2. Maybe it just doesn't like it, ill get a mate with a good scan tool to have a look.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Yes, you need a Tech 2 (or equivalent) scan tool for the LSx up until VF (VF uses GDS2).

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1

Yes, you need a Tech 2 (or equivalent) scan tool for the LSx up until VF (VF uses GDS2).
Mate came round and tried his fancy scan tool. No power to the OBD port. Pin 16 +ve has no voltage. Powered it externally and not able to read any systems. Any ideas?
The factory head unit has been removed by the previous owner, the wires are all just sitting there. IS there CAN in the headunit? Could this be causing any issues? (None of the wiring are touching)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate came round and tried his fancy scan tool. No power to the OBD port. Pin 16 +ve has no voltage. Powered it externally and not able to read any systems. Any ideas?
The factory head unit has been removed by the previous owner, the wires are all just sitting there. IS there CAN in the headunit? Could this be causing any issues? (None of the wiring are touching)
Yes there is a serial data wire there. If you have a factory head unit there, you should also have a pin out diagram on the headunit. I’ve posted it before, so will have a look for it.

brado1357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS LS1
Yes there is a serial data wire there. If you have a factory head unit there, you should also have a pin out diagram on the headunit. I’ve posted it before, so will have a look for it.
Couldn’t find a detailed pin out that matches the wires I’ve got. This is the only related thread I could find https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-uart-input-for-factory-headunit.290963/
Would that wire not being connected cause an issue? I can’t imagine that would cause the OBD port to get no power.
One of the headunit wires is 12V output. Is this required to be hooked up?
Any ideas on where to proceed?

Attachments

• IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 108