Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird insurance business

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Called RACV last night and asked that question, they confirmed that their evaluation was correct for a VFII Redline :oops:
Both RACV and AAMI are only willing to cover $44.590 agreed and both also confirmed they only cover legal roadworthy modifications.
Well no insurance company covers illegal modifications, not for road use anyway; because using a car with illegal mods on the road is ... well, illegal! :)

I reckon they don't have an idea about those values though, I called Shannons for our VF1 SSVR a few weeks back and the person I spoke to recommended I put it up to $50k based on the values they'd seen recently.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
seems like I can't get my
98 commodore in excellent nic with approved engine mods and my 1 year "good behaviour" (after losing all my points) driving record, insured at all, by anyone.. 20 mins on the phone with different companies only at the end to be told they won't insure me. I left Shannons till last, same deal.

Looks like I'll have to get my wife to insure it in her name.

you're in a very high risk category. they really don't want you on their books.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
you're in a very high risk category. they really don't want you on their books.
yep..

i just got it covered with RACQ third party fire theft etc. I'll give it some time and try to update it to comprehensive etc.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yep..

i just got it covered with RACQ third party fire theft etc. I'll give it some time and try to update it to comprehensive etc.

just gotta get back in the good books :D

atimicute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS V V8 MY15 Series 1.5
I found GIO Platinum insurance the best for me. If written off or stolen and not recovered I get a new VF Calais V (not possible) similar car(my choice) or my purchase price back. Seems good to me.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I found GIO Platinum insurance the best for me. If written off or stolen and not recovered I get a new VF Calais V (not possible) similar car(my choice) or my purchase price back. Seems good to me.
check the pds because most of them have a time cutoff threshold for the new for old/replacement policies.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Pretty sure they are exactly the same. You claim, they do everything they can to get out of paying you.
Seeing as nearly everyone has bad news stories about insurance companies I’ll share a good one.

Recently I lent my SV6 to my mum for a while as her car had broken down and she still needed to get to and from work etc. She ended up pulling out on a roundabout and didn’t see a car that was already on it so they hit the right hand front quarter of the car.

When I lent her the car I had forgot to list her as a nominated driver on the policy as required under the policy conditions so she was technically “uninsured“ at the time of the event. The insurance company ended up retrospectively adding her to the policy (after assessing her driving record to check she wasn’t a risk they normally wouldn’t insure) and honouring a claim that they had every right to reject.

The insurance company? Budget Direct!

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Seeing as nearly everyone has bad news stories about insurance companies I’ll share a good one.

Recently I lent my SV6 to my mum for a while as her car had broken down and she still needed to get to and from work etc. She ended up pulling out on a roundabout and didn’t see a car that was already on it so they hit the right hand front quarter of the car.

When I lent her the car I had forgot to list her as a nominated driver on the policy as required under the policy conditions so she was technically “uninsured“ at the time of the event. The insurance company ended up retrospectively adding her to the policy (after assessing her driving record to check she wasn’t a risk they normally wouldn’t insure) and honouring a claim that they had every right to reject.

The insurance company? Budget Direct!

That's a a surprise. A budget insurer no less. Thanks for sharing!

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
Shannons are good , my VE hd illegal mods and was covered
its gone ,now have the Maloo W557 covered by them great to deal with .

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That's a a surprise. A budget insurer no less. Thanks for sharing!
Yes. I was surprised too! I was fully expecting that they would deny the claim as was their right and I would be looking for a new car. They came through when push came to shove. I would have had no problem using them again for my SSV but unfortunately they don’t cover modified vehicles.