Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird insurance business

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Insurance is another shonk.
For every thousand dollars you pay in insurances in your lifetime, how much do you think you get back? Maybe 50cents in the dollar. They are in the business to make money, not to protect you from anything.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My sister in law is totally off grid and water supply is via water tanks...

Has solar panels, batterys and a generator as her power supplies

No government discouragement...Totally her and her boyfriends idea and no dramas from the local council either...

Yes it is a country area, but only 5 kay from the nearest town and 30ish kay from the nearest major surburb....

So no idea where this discouragement style information is coming from

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
For every thousand dollars you pay in insurances in your lifetime, how much do you think you get back? Maybe 50cents in the dollar. They are in the business to make money, not to protect you from anything.
Both yes & no.

The strayan government, probably state governments too, don’t insure anything for this exact reason! Anything that breaks they can afford to replace then & there.
No you need to consider insurance as being about what you can afford to pay for if it happens.
Can you replace your GTS-R if it‘s nicked, without worrying about it? If so, you need to ask yourself whether you need to insure it … but remember that 3rd-party covers you for something you likely couldn’t afford to pay for (which is why full comprehensive is rarely that much more than 3rd-party property).

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
And my council rates have increased by $400 this year...:mad:
Well it will cost them to tell you how to vote in the referendum…but don’t expect your rates to go down again next year.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I know that not being connected to the town water isn’t something you’re allowed to do, mostly for health reasons … are you really not allowed to be disconnected from the electrickery grid?
As I understand you can’t be forced to connect to electricity or gas as anyone with a vacant house can attest to. Oddly, if water is available you’ll get a bill of sorts from you water provider even if it’s a vacant block with no connection to water, sewage or storm water (and they claim it’s because you have the ability to connect if you want)…

The problem is that the suppliers of PV solar and battery systems will recommend that you remain grid connected and discourage off grid thinking. May be there are some kick backs from power providers?

Added to that is the certification and approval process for off grid systems in city areas is much more burdensome from a bureaucratic process than a connected PV system. Such burdens just seems to adds unnecessary cost and frustration.
So no idea where this discouragement style information is coming from
Last year I enquired about off grid solar and I got nothing but resistance and told that its expensive, bureaucratic and difficult in capital cities… A few years before that time I was told it’s illegal to go off grid in suburbia… May be it’s old info I’ve based my comments on and things have changed.

Interestingly the following mob (local to you) seem to do such off grid systems

May be it’s time to revisit the whole off grid solar..

Reactions: Lex

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The problem is that the suppliers of PV solar and battery systems will recommend that you remain grid connected and discourage off grid thinking. May be there are some kick backs from power providers?
Ah, I see … likely that’s because a system to cover you 100% of the time is going to cost 10x as much as a system to cover you 90% of the time.

Most people would be willing to pay the ~$400/yr connection fee for access to juice they don’t use, so they have the ability to watch TV & run the heater for those 3 days in a row every 5 years where they need the grid due to inclement weather & low sunlight. At least, as compared to spending the extra one-off $20k in batteries to ensure they’re covered.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Insurance is really the only thing I can think of where you pay money for zero service. In ordinary circumstances your premiums buy you nothing but a vague promise that the insurance company will be there if the time comes to claim.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Insurance is really the only thing I can think of where you pay money for zero service. In ordinary circumstances your premiums buy you nothing but a vague promise that the insurance company will be there if the time comes to claim.

It’s a bit like buying a lotto ticket. :)

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
As I understand you can’t be forced to connect to electricity or gas as anyone with a vacant house can attest to. Oddly, if water is available you’ll get a bill of sorts from you water provider even if it’s a vacant block with no connection to water, sewage or storm water (and they claim it’s because you have the ability to connect if you want)…

Added to that is the certification and approval process for off grid systems in city areas is much more burdensome from a bureaucratic process than a connected PV system. Such burdens just seems to adds unnecessary cost and frustration.

Last year I enquired about off grid solar and I got nothing but resistance and told that its expensive, bureaucratic and difficult in capital cities… A few years before that time I was told it’s illegal to go off grid in suburbia… May be it’s old info I’ve based my comments on and things have changed.

[/URL][/URL]

My 2 cents , regarding gas and electricity, they are provided by many suppliers and not really regarded as a god given right where as supply of water is and as far as i understand is controlled by one authority to supply such god given right even though you have to pay for it but thats the way it is,
Regarding off grid solar , it , to me makes more sense that the more energy being fed into the grid, the less reliant we will be on coal/gas energy. Their , the governments goal is to eventually have mass storage systems such as battery storage to be able to supply power when solar, wind and other sources are unable to generate such power . Why pay huge amounts on a second hand Tesla 3 battery for home energy storage, even though this is a great recycling approach and may have its place in the future when the energy suppliers already have these projects in place .
All this technology is still in early days , A lesson i learned when i used to burn all my movies on to disc

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

[/URL]

It might be a case of being right in the middle of surburbia, he council take a dim view of people going off grid, yet being in a country setting, they mightn't worry too much.

The sister in law, to find her place, you have to look for a landmark on a major 110 KPH highway, to find the gate....You can't even see the house from the highway....

So this may be the difference....Who knows, especially when councils are involved.

Considering this, I was probably premature with my statement saying about the discouragement, not considering kick backs that some may get by making it more difficult for right in the middle of surburbia people to go off grid