Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Welding on the engine

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Must admit I enjoyed watching the broken bolt removal video. Those pre-made allen key bolts with the centres drilled out as guides is a great idea and this way there'll never be any whoopsys against the thread that needs to be protected. I must say though that those bolts were not really that badly seized. Honestly how do you break a steel bolt in Ally. You'll generally tear the thread out of the ally before breaking a steel 12mm bolt.

Regardless I'm going to make up some of these guides on my lathe and also invest into some much harder drill bits for such wonderful occasions, which is normally about fixing someone else's stuff ups up and not my own.

There's a good piece of advise that was given to me years ago and that is any bolt that is subjected to steel and water will eventually seize solid if not periodically removed and reinstalled, thus when using bolts in that area of say thermostat housings and timing covers etc. apply liberal amounts of anti-seize just like the guy in the video did. This way you'll never have this issue again, but in this current scenario this ain't going to help, but will for next time.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The vid was me taking the piss and nothing more lol. But glad you like it vs-lover

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have a VS ecotec intake manifold you can have. Comes with a 12mm spacer, you just have to pay for shipping from NZ.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just for you guys here I am, lol, love it, in fact removing the battery is a bad move it will adsorb the energy just like a coal power station with all the extra energy that goes to earth and back to the power station, what I would do is remove the alternator cable and run a chain directly under where your welding from so it will go straight to ground, well that's what I use to do on tractors when welding up slasher skids and stuff. Good luck, :) .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just for you guys here I am, lol, love it, in fact removing the battery is a bad move it will adsorb the energy just like a coal power station with all the extra energy that goes to earth and back to the power station, what I would do is remove the alternator cable and run a chain directly under where your welding from so it will go straight to ground, well that's what I use to do on tractors when welding up slasher skids and stuff. Good luck, :) .
That's your opinion Big T but what does YouTube have to say about the matter?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Make sure the ground of the welder is good and close to the weld area and things should be fine.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Must admit Crash Shops are Mig welding all the time and they only ever remove the battery out of circuit, never seen them unplug ECU's and so on.

Probably that's why most cars are never the same after they've been in an accident and repaired LOL ! ;););)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
One must ask...When an exhaust is being done, why don't exhaust shops disconnect the battery, or any other electronics, if welding can cause such major issues?

Oh and on the topic at hand.....Getting a 2nd hand manifold would probably be the easiest solution....Saves a lot of headaches and also gives you the opportunity to try remove the offending bolt once the manifold is out of the car