Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What car(s) will be your next?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just curious why you persist with HSV when for the dollars there is a lot nice cars you could be in. Unless it's all about the bogan power, body kit and noise apeal.

What would you suggest that fits my wants & needs better for the money?

Reaper

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
Well it depends on your wants and needs obviously. There are obvious German considerations but something that springs to mind for me at the moment, in a similar pricing point to the new HSVs, is the new Jaguar XF. Super sexy car! If you can stretch just a little bit further than the HSVs and FPVs regarding price, then things like the Range Rover Sport come into play. And having driven one of my finance's clients recently, they're VERY nice!

Like I said, depends on your wants and needs. If it's all about the bang for your buck with a few decent luxury inclusions, then you can't really go past HSV or FPV but when it comes to styling and fit/finish they are a LONG way behind. So my question was just out of curiosity, and not knowing your needs and wants. That's all.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Well it depends on your wants and needs obviously. There are obvious German considerations but something that springs to mind for me at the moment, in a similar pricing point to the new HSVs, is the new Jaguar XF. Super sexy car!

Well the XF's start at a little more than the E3 cost for a base model and is well over $200k for the schmiko XFR. Very nice car indeed but hardly similar pricing is it ;)

If you can stretch just a little bit further than the HSVs and FPVs regarding price, then things like the Range Rover Sport come into play.

Oh god no. Who in their right might would cross shop a 4wd anything with a 4 door sedan :rofl: Once again though - they start being twice the cost of any HSV/FPV mainstream model for something decent.

Like I said, depends on your wants and needs. If it's all about the bang for your buck with a few decent luxury inclusions, then you can't really go past HSV or FPV but when it comes to styling and fit/finish they are a LONG way behind. So my question was just out of curiosity, and not knowing your needs and wants. That's all.

To be honest - you are paying twice (or often more) as much to get anything with similar performance and size from Europe and very few offer a manual box and the ability to tow (often neither). I really have no desire or want for a 4wd at this stage in my life. My current car fits my needs *perfectly*.

Manual - check
power - check
can fit my work junk, baby seat + people in comfort - check
handles well (for a large 4 door sedan) - check
towing ability - check
reliable - check

If you don't like one - don't buy one. For many they are bang on the mark. I looked at the M5 before I got the Senator and was thoroughly underwhelmed by the dashboard and satnav intergration in particular. The Merc was excellent but I just didn't rate it as 3x the HSV purchase price better.

Reaper

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
All very valid points - it's just a shame you have to deal with the styling and body kits of the HSVs.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
To be honest - you are paying twice (or often more) as much to get anything with similar performance and size from Europe and very few offer a manual box and the ability to tow (often neither). I really have no desire or want for a 4wd at this stage in my life. My current car fits my needs *perfectly*.

Manual - check
power - check
can fit my work junk, baby seat + people in comfort - check
handles well (for a large 4 door sedan) - check
towing ability - check
reliable - check

If you don't like one - don't buy one. For many they are bang on the mark. I looked at the M5 before I got the Senator and was thoroughly underwhelmed by the dashboard and satnav intergration in particular. The Merc was excellent but I just didn't rate it as 3x the HSV purchase price better.

Reaper

Agreed.

There is no doubts that cars on offer from the Euro Market have superior build quality. But they are in a league of their own and , but as even has been said on Top Gear (for a journalists opinion) value for money from an HSV or similar is pretty good. For what they are, they are a good car.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
For the money you pay the HSV range gives you everything that you would pay 6 figures for elsewhere.

It's a no brainer really, like Reap said, one of the few remaining genuine sports cars with a proper manual, the power-to-price ratio is probably the best NA on the market, can take 3 massive cricket bags in the back and 4 blokes comfortably, and (touch wood) I've never had or heard of major problems with them.

The styling and kits are like most cars- you either like them or you don't. Take the Kizashi for example, people think its horrible, I reckon it looks pretty cool....

After all, when you're driving it, you're not looking at it, only hearing and experiencing it.

That being said, if I was to jump out of a HSV, it would be for American muscle i.e. Dodge Challenger SRT-8, or Chevy Camaro, with Holden badges.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
European fit and finish. What a joke. Most of the Benzs, and BMWs are made in Asia, or India. Quality aint what it used to be.
And go to your Benz dealer for a service, you better get a bank loan 1st.
Jag and Range Rover :rofl2:
HSV, and FPV offer best bang for buck, no questions.
Go buy your Jeep. I really hope you enjoy it.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
The car of choice was the new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (diesel). Nothing else even comes close. The list of inclusions in the Aussie model is very impressive. The Prado has a lot less for a lot more money. And like the Prado, the Patrol, the Pajero and the Pathfinder are so dated they'd be better suited to 5 years ago!

and the grand cherokees styling hasn't dated over the last 11 or so years??

2011 & 2000 model

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
and the grand cherokees styling hasn't dated over the last 11 or so years??

2011 & 2000 model

Not at all... Those two models are like chalk and cheese!

2000-jeep-grand-cherokee-limited_100028285_m.jpg

002_2011jgc_opt.jpg