Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There’s a spring your have to wind.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Got in early this morning and changed the oil in the SSV before the weather got stinking hot. Waited until the standard 15,000km change interval as the oil was still relatively clean on the dipstick (the advantage of running LPG).

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
The SS is in for a fresh ceramic coating, going with IGL Kenzo again as it’s coming up to 5 years (will be in July) since the first one was done and it has held up amazingly and still beads up water like crazy.
On a side note he measured up the thickness after a wash and clay bar and sent me the results. He mentioned most newish cars read 60ish microns for him and mine is, well let’s say a lot more than that.
Is this due to different clears these days than was used 12 years ago?
Any other insights from anyone out there?
IMG_7345.jpeg

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Got the tune done on the Honda, to say I'm impressed with it would be an understatement

Better throttle response, and noticeably more power everywhere, the car also runs so much smoother

And weirdly the car sounds better, like it has a different exhaust, not raspy or droney, just a little louder, I assume it has something to do with changes in the cam timing/overlap

I also noticed the fuel economy was better on the RTN drive home, I'll zero out the trip computer tomorrow and see what it gets on a Hwy drive to Goulburn

Overall money well spent

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is this due to different clears these days than was used 12 years ago?

No, it’s because Holden gave a shite back when the VE was made. By the time of the VF they knew they were leaving and didn’t give a shite anymore.

One thing Holden was usually pretty good with was paint in my estimation. Never saw many Commodores with peeling paint over the years, regardless of age.

Other marques on the other hand (Mitsubishi I’m looking at you) every second car is peeling by the time they get to 5-10 years old.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
No, it’s because Holden gave a shite back when the VE was made. By the time of the VF they knew they were leaving and didn’t give a shite anymore.

One thing Holden was usually pretty good with was paint in my estimation. Never saw many Commodores with peeling paint over the years, regardless of age.

Other marques on the other hand (Mitsubishi I’m looking at you) every second car is peeling by the time they get to 5-10 years old.
I had a CJ Lancer, bought it brand new for a daily (I can’t fault that car for what it was) but the paint was a joke. I swear if gave it a hard stare a chip would appear. Really poor in that regard.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Never saw many Commodores with peeling paint over the years
I seen thousands of them? Every model with either peeling paint or clear.

No offence but maybe you shouldn't be driving if you haven't noticed all the Commodores with peeling paint or clear. ;) :) :cool:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I seen thousands of them? Every model with either peeling paint or clear.

No offence but maybe you shouldn't be driving if you haven't noticed all the Commodores with peeling paint or clear. ;) :) :cool:
Maybe I should clarify that I haven’t seen many newer Commodores over the years with peeling paint. Nearly anything older than VE series 2 will almost certainly have a 50/50 chance of having peeling paint now purely based on age.

Mitsubishis on the other hand I’ve seen relatively new Tritons and Lancers with peeling paint.

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Sure about that, Seem plenty of Commodores with paint problems.