Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VEsv6LY7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HFv6 ly7 2007
So I’ve got a Ly7 Sv6 2007 Manuel ute 195kw car, it has a K&n filter at the moment already, lately I’ve seen the following orssom OTR intake and Xair OTR intake. I’m wondering what’s the best choice? Are Either of them two better or is my k&n filter producing the same results?
Mods so far are extractors, high flow cats, 30mm air intake manifold spacer gasket and the k&n filter (not a pod filter).
I don’t care for v8s and I have other mods in mind to get more power soon enough, light mods suggestions would be appreciated tho. ( is a bigger throttle body going to help?)
right now the manifold spacer has reduced my revs to 5k, I’d say it stuffed with my maff sensor but I plan on tuning it sooner or later to solve it.
I might get V8 later if I feel like it or I might not but for I love my ute and would prefer to aim for a 4x4 before a v8. In case anyone wants to comment saying get a v8 haha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Put a supercharger on it, it will go well then.

VEsv6LY7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HFv6 ly7 2007
Put a supercharger on it, it will go well then.
I know, but I have different plans. Let’s just say I’m going to take the naturally aspirated approach and leave it at that.

H

harrop.senator

The tune will do so much more for it then an intake.

Leave it as is and go get it tuned , thank me later.

H

harrop.senator

Also get some maf cleaner the K and n may have been over oiled from the factory and left a film on the hot wire.

VEsv6LY7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HFv6 ly7 2007
The tune will do so much more for it then an intake.

Leave it as is and go get it tuned , thank me later.
Nah I wanna crack 300kw with it. all the light mods I can do, 98 or ethanol tune and one other thing that I probably can’t mention but if you’re smart you could guess at. So for the sake of $500 is an OTR beneficial or is my k&n filter already just as beneficial. I know a tune will get me power. it’s not really my question.... so other then a tune and a supercharger what’s going to help with them small gains? Throttle body?
believe me I have a good direction I’m going to try with the car. Naturally aspirated no engine internals upgraded, and still will make 300kw. Right now with everything I don’t think I’m going to crack it but I’m close.

H

harrop.senator

Lol you'd be lucky to crack 200 rwhp in its current state.

An OTR may help the stock boxes can be a bit asthmatic but I just two hole mod them.

I don't think the throttle body size is an issue I think it's more the fact it doesn't open further then 50% even with the pedal mashed til 3600 rpm or so. Hence why I said to get the tune , you can disable all of the torque management and increase the torque hugely down low and in the middle.

Stock throttle body won't be out flowed without cams as a minimum and may not even be a restriction then. You'll get some seat of the pants gains but it's because less throttle creates more air coming in. It'll also cheat the dbw and torque management a little.

Diff gears do more for it then a manifold in my opinion but both are good. The cpr6 manifolds only really outshine the stock one 4.5 or over and the race is usually won in the 60 ft. .1 second difference in the first sixty can make .3 over a whole quarter mile. The car with diff gears will jump you everytime.

As lame as it sounds because everyone thinks there v6's best v8's but up to 100-120 because my WL goes toe to toe . ( heavy af) Doesn't spin with the torque management still engaged and but the 2600 rpm stall only leaves a thousand rpm of low throttle body blade opening. The 3.46 gears over the 2.87's it gets off the line. If it's a six speed auto V8 I'm roast but with the 4 speed I've usually got the jump til 70. Neck and neck til 100-120 then by 150 I'm on there tail lights.

Even slipping the clutch with 255 falkens in mums cammed clubsport she sooked hard when she didn't come round me til she was in third.

VEsv6LY7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HFv6 ly7 2007
Lol you'd be lucky to crack 200 rwhp in its current state.

An OTR may help the stock boxes can be a bit asthmatic but I just two hole mod them.

I don't think the throttle body size is an issue I think it's more the fact it doesn't open further then 50% even with the pedal mashed til 3600 rpm or so. Hence why I said to get the tune , you can disable all of the torque management and increase the torque hugely down low and in the middle.

Stock throttle body won't be out flowed without cams as a minimum and may not even be a restriction then. You'll get some seat of the pants gains but it's because less throttle creates more air coming in. It'll also cheat the dbw and torque management a little.

Diff gears do more for it then a manifold in my opinion but both are good. The cpr6 manifolds only really outshine the stock one 4.5 or over and the race is usually won in the 60 ft. .1 second difference in the first sixty can make .3 over a whole quarter mile. The car with diff gears will jump you everytime.

As lame as it sounds because everyone thinks there v6's best v8's but up to 100-120 because my WL goes toe to toe . ( heavy af) Doesn't spin with the torque management still engaged and but the 2600 rpm stall only leaves a thousand rpm of low throttle body blade opening. The 3.46 gears over the 2.87's it gets off the line. If it's a six speed auto V8 I'm roast but with the 4 speed I've usually got the jump til 70. Neck and neck til 100-120 then by 150 I'm on there tail lights.

Even slipping the clutch with 255 falkens in mums cammed clubsport she sooked hard when she didn't come round me til she was in third.
In its current state it’s probably less then 150kw, I think it has a 3.27 lsd, I changed it from a 2.92 I’m pretty sure could be wrong. Yes it’s going to get a tune, I’ll look into two hole modding the intake. Let’s say I put a 75 shot of nos on it then would a throttle body help?

H

harrop.senator

Actual 75 HP shot on it or a 75hp kit ? 75 HP real world on the V6 may be a 125 HP jet kit for a conventional bigger cube V8.

I thought you were doing all this naturally aspirated?

You could try but there's only a few companies that do them and aren't cheap. The stock one is 72mms which is a pretty decent size on a 3.6

VEsv6LY7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE HFv6 ly7 2007
Actual 75 HP shot on it or a 75hp kit ? 75 HP real world on the V6 may be a 125 HP jet kit for a conventional bigger cube V8.

I thought you were doing all this naturally aspirated?

You could try but there's only a few companies that do them and aren't cheap. The stock one is 72mms which is a pretty decent size on a 3.6
Nitrous is natural aspiration it doesn’t fall under forced induction. (Even tho it’s similar) if I was to do it it would be a 75 hp kit. There about a grand, purge kit is a couple hundred. I’ll try the throttle body worst case is I have to swap it back for my old one. Stock engines can handle up to a 75 shot safely apparently. So basically for the sake of 3-4K of mods I’m hoping for about 100kw gain including the nos. But nos is illegal that’s why I’ve been hesitant to say anything about it. Do you think nos 75shot, 3.27 diff gears, tune to 98 or ethanol, two hole mod the intake + k&n filter, bigger throttle body, extractors + high flow cats will crack 300 kw on an already 195 kw car? Also do you think I’d need to play with the injectors as in bigger ones?