Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What model Commodore on a $5000 budget?

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Vs equip is my pic, solid axle I would imagine would be a little better than the irs for that model and has all the mod cons withouth the price tag if a Calais.
Has cruise,
Power windows
Fe2
Air con, if it works.

And it'll come in a little cheaper than your budget which leaves a little extra for immediate maintenance or wheels or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You'd be mad to spend $5k on something pre2000. My money is on the VX. Berlina would be a good choice as it will be nicely equipped with low Ks for that money. Executive would be even lower Ks bit less luxury.... then again if it had power windows and AC I'd be set personally. Don't NEED climate control and auto headlights...

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
fuq me dead. He does interstate. WTF is wrong with you?

Bugger me, it never stops.......

Looking at Carsales $5k would put you in a small car from the 1997-2001 period with less than 150K on the clock, a supermini/light car would be 3-4 years newer.

Anyway, the cars would be air-conditioned, roads wouldn't be that hilly, cars could easily maintain 110 clicks perhaps he could also get an early '00s example.....the 2000 Corolla I had I covered long distances like that and was economical, comfortable and reliable. If you are just transporting yourself with a suitcase why do you need a 1600kg land yacht?

Back to topic of OP - on Carsales the latest Calais I could find for the money seems generally to be VT, VX is availble but many have really high mileages, could be a liability.
The latest 'Regular' commodore (executive, acclaim) at the price point seems to be VXII, VYs are available albeit at high mileage. If you must have a Commodore and it must be as late as possible, i'd go with VX Acclaim, has safety gear, some electrics, without having too many electrics too fail, parts easier to find 2nd hand.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Good point with the Acclaim. Kind of what I was thinking about with an exec with power windows.

I've done long hauls in both small cars and family sedans.... would take the sedan any day of the week.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think those guys proposing VS models are forgetting that they are getting very old and had almost no safety features compared to just about anything built since. The last VS sedans would be sixteen years old now. Sure they are more economical and lighter than the VT onwards, but is that really what matters? They are economical compared to later models, but are nowhere near as comfortable, have less braking power, poorer suspensions, weaker bodies, only two airbags at best.....

Good in their day and hopelessly out of date now.

Whilst smaller cars are more economical fuel wise, their servicing and maintenance, and the cost of replacement parts, may well be dearer than the Commodore. It really comes down to exactly what the OP is looking for in a car. He asked about Commodore suggestions, so I assume that's what he wants.

Nothing earlier than VX2 for me. Rear suspension mods alone make it worth the search and the higher spec models would be within reach.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Does it have to be a commy?

Theres many other options.....

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Bugger me, it never stops.......

Looking at Carsales $5k would put you in a small car from the 1997-2001 period with less than 150K on the clock, a supermini/light car would be 3-4 years newer.

Anyway, the cars would be air-conditioned, roads wouldn't be that hilly, cars could easily maintain 110 clicks perhaps he could also get an early '00s example.....the 2000 Corolla I had I covered long distances like that and was economical, comfortable and reliable. If you are just transporting yourself with a suitcase why do you need a 1600kg land yacht?

Back to topic of OP - on Carsales the latest Calais I could find for the money seems generally to be VT, VX is availble but many have really high mileages, could be a liability.
The latest 'Regular' commodore (executive, acclaim) at the price point seems to be VXII, VYs are available albeit at high mileage. If you must have a Commodore and it must be as late as possible, i'd go with VX Acclaim, has safety gear, some electrics, without having too many electrics too fail, parts easier to find 2nd hand.

5k can also put you in a 2006 mitsubishi 380.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Very true, large magna/380 could work not only would it be roomy, comfortable and powerful would be cheaper to buy, may be more refined and be a bit more reliable. OTOH parts could cost a bit more, and would not be as easy to work on (from what I hear replacing spark plugs in a FWD V6 requires a fair bit of disassembly).

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Little brother has a 380 and drives it to Gladstone from the sunny coast and back several times a month for the past couple years. Hasn't skipped a beat yet. They have issues with the window motors failing but they're pretty basic to fix.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Agreed re the magna/380 suggestion..am a holden fan 100% but I had TJII 03 model for a lot of years and it had maybe one minor problem in 9 years of motoring/albeit "only" did around 160,000 in it...4/5 year newer vehicle(380) with maybe 60 or 70,000 less k's on the clock,definitely worth consideration if you can look beyond the badge lol