Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What model Commodore on a $5000 budget?

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
May as well buy a camry if you just want a reliable economical family car. Get a V8 Holden when you want to go fast

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'd look at a very late VT Calais or VX (if you can find one). Should get to Adelaide on 1 tank even as a petrol V6 + reliable and comfortable.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
If you want economy, for your budget get the nicest VS you can find. VS performance and economy is miles ahead of VT-VY models, simply because they are much lighter than the VT that came after it. OTOH if you just want something economical and nice to drive, I'd go with a 4cyl manual japanese car from the 90s, perhaps a Pulsar, Lancer, Corolla. Wouldn't get a Korean car at that price point. They are coming good now but this wasn't the case 10-15 yrs ago......

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
I wouldn't buy a pulsar, crapolla or lancer if I wanted to over take road trains quickly at 120kph.
Id look at a good condition vx of any model.
Imo the later model you can get the better.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
What do you want to do with the car between the long drives every couple of months? Better to buy a car that suits your
every day use, than just for the trips. Pulsar/Corolla etc as said maybe a better option. Can you fly to Melbourne as an option??
I drive a Toyota Echo as one of my work cars, and while I wouldnt like to drive it from Adelaide to Melbourne, it gets 16ks to the ltr. And it doesnt go too bad.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
If you want economy, for your budget get the nicest VS you can find. VS performance and economy is miles ahead of VT-VY models, simply because they are much lighter than the VT that came after it. OTOH if you just want something economical and nice to drive, I'd go with a 4cyl manual japanese car from the 90s, perhaps a Pulsar, Lancer, Corolla. Wouldn't get a Korean car at that price point. They are coming good now but this wasn't the case 10-15 yrs ago......

fuq me dead. He does interstate. WTF is wrong with you?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As late model Ecotec powered commy as you can find. Throw a new set of shocks in it, keep a spare DFI and set of coils in the boot and hit cruise!

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
a statesman would be nice as they do love the open road (so many of them come from the country - both of mine have) and are darn comfy on long trips but the economy just isn't there even if you go for a 6. I feel if you get a statesman a V8 is best for pulling them around. I get about 650K's to a tank in my VR V6 statesman and that's got low milage for a 20 year old car, it's approaching 180k.

personally I'd go for a calais for comfort or even just a well looked after exec would do the job. for 5k you could get a really nice VS Calais but finding one that's been looked after is a different story. for a long trip like that anything less than a commodore sized sedan is sacrificing comfort and getting a commodore sized car for a trip like that sacrifices some economy. I guess it's just up to you to decide what you prefer, economy or comfort. it's a pretty obvious rule of thumb when people look for a used car with good economy and that is you just won't get it in a older car unless you get a small car.

my stepdad used to drive from Sydney to Perth and back every month in his VS Exec and it served the job well.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
I vote for VX calais, gots to have leather, I prefer the VX over VT because of the front and rear end difference, you know it's either a calais or berlina, the VT calais/berlina is disappointing, just looks like a tarted up exec.

Last edited: