Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What Steel Braided Brake Lines to Buy?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
@Lex to answer @scaredyet's question, did you feel a difference with the braided lines?

My personal belief is that with modern braking systems you wouldn't ... I've only fitted braided lines where frankly I was gonna hafta fit some sort of replacement lines anyway ... but have zero experience comparing. And if the VZ still has the stock lines, could be a decent time to replace anyway?
My brake hoses (if original) came out when the car was built 1998. The pads & rotors had probably been replaced before.

The brakes were squealing drvers rear. Tried cleaning them & the pins up. No go. So l replaced them with another set from a vx. Still the same.

So l bought new pistons, seals & pins. New rotors & pads too. Also bought the braided s/s hoses. After rebuilding the calipers & replacing the braided hoses, the brakes worked better than they had ever worked before.

I looked for stanard brake hoses, but couldn't find any. But came across a thread about s/s braided hoses. Looked into it & bought a set.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yeah sorry guys I got excited when I saw braided lines. Yes my car is a VZ Lumina Wagon not a VF and doesn't have traction control. I did email them a while ago but no reply. I did see a negative Google review saying they didn't fit a Wagon and no reply. A few years back I did ask the same question but can't remember where now but was told they don't fit the rears.

Are there any dramas in getting front braided only. Will I still feel a different?
If the original hoses are ok, you may not notice any difference? But if the hoses are cactus & you replace them, you will notice a difference. So you will have to test them.

Take a wheel off, to take notice of the hose. Get someone to push the brake peddle. While they are pushing the peddle take notice of the hose, does it expand? Do both front hoses then do both back hoses. If any of the hoses expand whether front or back. If only one hose expands say front, replace both hoses.

Hope that helps?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't really know if they improved much on my VE as I have only tested them once when I was travelling from Vic to SA and that was after they were fitted. Some people reckon the stock VE SS brakes are rubbish. Well I nearly sent the wife through the windscreen when I had to stomp on mine. I thought there was no way I was going to pull up before the intersection when I noticed the give way on a 100kph road a couple of seconds before I was on it.

I have braids all round. On my VR the difference was decent even with light pedal, and that was even with just the fronts done. Doing the rears as well it was only marginally better than with the fronts alone.

These days I just fit them regardless and glad I did because under a lot of pressure they may have been the help I needed that day to pull the ute up.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
So I was on the phone with a few places, tried calling safebrake but no luck. I was told they are Chinese made brake lines. So I called Hel brakes and another place in Queensland and they said the issue is the block without traction control no one really makes so they said support Aussie made and call Brakequip. brake quip told me to go to Pepe's and they actually make the braided lines and test them and brake quip can make the block they they attach to at the rears.

I called up Pepe's and they want me to take off all the brake lines so they can make them the same. I would have thought they would be standard. Fk me I need my car.

These guys had issues too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex