Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why has no one does this?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I was hoping to get away from spring bucket suspension by doing the ve subframe swap but it might not be worth it. Who knows I might have to choose a different chassis to build up

Yeah, that's good. Kind of why I said an AU would be a good hack because it's coilover by design (and cheeep) even though it's solid axle. You might have missed the part in one of my posts where I said you'll need to consider the size of the VE shock absorber (I edit my posts a lot straight after I post). The main problem is that there really aren't any good coilovers that fit the VR/VS strut towers, and the Showtime S13 conversion won't work for VR/VS. I think it would be worth your while looking at other subframes that have good aftermarket support for arms, diff, and suspension, something like a JZX or an RX8 or the ubiquitous Nissan stuff.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Ah yes sorry I went back and read it, I see what you mean and I lacked explanation lol. I would more than likely be making a different top mount altogether and mount in some good aftermarket double eyelet end coil overs (like the ones you see in 4 link stuff) but this is all very up in the air given the new info I have about doing a be conversion in the first place haha

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I've often thought of upgrading the entire suspension of a classic Holden by swapping the entire floor pan from a late Commie. I've never gone into the mathematics such as track, body width etc, but if someone was determined enough to put a VE rear end into an earlier model, full or partial floor pan swap might be the answer.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah, that's good. Kind of why I said an AU would be a good hack because it's coilover by design (and cheeep) even though it's solid axle. You might have missed the part in one of my posts where I said you'll need to consider the size of the VE shock absorber (I edit my posts a lot straight after I post). The main problem is that there really aren't any good coilovers that fit the VR/VS strut towers, and the Showtime S13 conversion won't work for VR/VS. I think it would be worth your while looking at other subframes that have good aftermarket support for arms, diff, and suspension, something like a JZX or an RX8 or the ubiquitous Nissan stuff.

Just a little offshoot to do with the AU....The series 111 had IRS...(It may have been the series 11 that had it...Can't exactly remember which one had it as an option.....) And from memory, it was similiar to the VE, with the IRS set up too, with very minimal rear camber adjustment

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
If that's true vc then it might just be a good platform after all. I wouldn't be keeping the motor trans wiring and ecu but could definitely be a good chassis

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
VC is right. The AU premium models had a locally designed IRS which didn't carry over to the BF because of complexity, weight and cost and the corporate availability of the "control blade" IRS which was simpler, lighter and cheaper. AU's aren't worth a bumper these days so if you can find one with IRS, it might be worth considering.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
does anyone know the track width of the au irs? going to au id loose the aftermarket lock kits and many goodies available for the commodore. wonder how hard it would be to put an au irs cradle into a vr/vs commo? anyone know how strong there irs diffs and axles are? i guess a commodore forum isnt really the best place to ask haha

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If you've never drifted before just in general terms, buy something cheap, easy to get parts for and with a lot of aftermarket availability. Head out to a Vicdrift practice day and get a feel for what people are doing, when you're learning its not if, but when you crash so having a car with lots of one of parts is just burning money to start off with. There's a fair few people drifting commodores these days and quite successfully with unmodified rear ends bar shocks spool etc.

That said though after drifting my mates R33 at Calders 'Drift Skills' a couple of weeks back and then getting back in my Maloo to drive home, Id much rather be in the more nimble and lighter R33 to throw around, despite only having half the power of my Maloo. Depends what you want and how seriously you want to take it, I've just about finished putting together my drift car a C33 Nissan Laurel, its a bit unique but basically a mongrel between a R32 and a S13 so parts availability apart from body panels is great. But there's all the other things you need too, cage, seats, harnesses, I wouldn't drive on the track without a 6 point cage personally, although a lot do and you will need at least a half cage minimum. There's a few grand in there if you want to do it properly.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just a little offshoot to do with the AU....The series 111 had IRS...(It may have been the series 11 that had it...Can't exactly remember which one had it as an option.....) And from memory, it was similiar to the VE, with the IRS set up too, with very minimal rear camber adjustment

Yeah, the AU IRS was apparently super good, classic double wishbone design. Unfortunately it's not particularly common (S3 had live axle too I believe) and it's not easy to tell which ones have it by trim. Big advantage for stuff like the VE and Nissan rear ends though is you can put aftermarket arms with turnbuckles in.

Head out to a Vicdrift practice day and get a feel for what people are doing

^This. You don't need anything flash or a repertoire of expensive parts to do it well, just something that has the basics well set up. If you're using speed properly just about any stock car will have sufficient lock.

I've just about finished putting together my drift car a C33 Nissan Laurel

Pics please. :)

Last edited:

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Yeah I've been doing plenty of reading about it. Basically if you want a set find an au xr6 vct as they were all irs. Yeah the IRS in them looks wicked and as for aftermarket it wouldn't be too hard to take the arms off and get custom ones made up as the design is basic but works awesome.