Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why has no one does this?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
AU IRS was Fairlane, LTD, Fairmont Ghia, XR8 and XR6 (with variable cam engine). However, you could get any options from Ford factory. I have seen for example, a farmer who got a Fairlane with live axle - reckoned it was better for towing.

I've seen IRS equipped AU's, that were base model AU's.....I just can't remember whether it started with the series 11 or 111...So the best way to determine if it has IRS, is to look...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Au isn't exactly the same no but it's still double wish bone and from reading other forums it's just as good if not better than the later ba onwards blade design or whatever it is. From what I can see it would be a much simpler task doing the au rather than later model version

As I said earlier if you get the xr6 vct series 1 and 11 all had it's standard not optioned or so I am told.

Don't recall the series 1 being optioned with IRS.....The one area I can't remember is whether it was a definate option on the series 11 and/or 111, but they weren't a standard fitament.

The only standard thing I remember from the series 1 was camber adjustment in the rear with the XR series, not the base models

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Actually FG front suspension is virtual pivot - an improvement over BA/BF.
And yes, the diffs were a problem - I think Ford didn't fix it until about FG series II. The model to avoid is the G6E turbo, which had the same diff as a taxi.

Don't recall the BF onwards having diff issues, but the memory isn't as good as it used to be either...:)

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
From my reading it's 111 that they stopped making the IRS standard but kept it as an option. Whenever I look up cars specs only 1 and 11 series xr6 vcts and like xr8s had it standard. Probably the same for Fairlane and the likes but I'm only sure on the xr6 vct 1 or 11

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Don't recall the BF onwards having diff issues, but the memory isn't as good as it used to be either...:)
Our work ute ba/bf has diff issues and is on its 3rd or 4th diff I'm told. Basically put the car round a corner in just the right way and the diffs sh*t the bed with a bang haha

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
From my reading it's 111 that they stopped making the IRS standard but kept it as an option. Whenever I look up cars specs only 1 and 11 series xr6 vcts and like xr8s had it standard. Probably the same for Fairlane and the likes but I'm only sure on the xr6 vct 1 or 11

You might want to have a look underneath these.....I know the series 1 had the live axle rears as standard.....I'm just not 100% sure when the IRS was made an option...Series 11 or 111

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Our work ute ba/bf has diff issues and is on its 3rd or 4th diff I'm told. Basically put the car round a corner in just the right way and the diffs sh*t the bed with a bang haha

You can do that with any diff......I don't recall base models having a diff issue...Only the turbo and XR8 ones, which were replaced under warranty at the dealerships