Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WIFI Apple or Android Carplay

TOBI Commodore 2018

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore LT Sportwagon 2018
Hi,
I'm driving a 2018 LT Sportwagon and every now and again the cable to my phone disconnects because the cable is getting old or my phone is sitting the wrong angel. It is so annoying, one minute carplay, next minute none.
Anyway, I was wondering if I could make a Wifi hotspot in the car so I can use carplay without plugin it in?!?
In Europe and the USA the car comes with an Wifi hotspot (a service you have to subscribe) but not in Australia.
So I was wondering if the car has the hardware and if so, how to get it going?
If it has not I was wondering if you can buy some sort of aftermarket part that makes it work?
Thanks Tobi

Last edited:

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Why don't you just bluetooth your phone to the infotainment?

TOBI Commodore 2018

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why don't you just bluetooth your phone to the infotainment?
Because without wifi "carplay" or "androidplay" does not work, that only works when you plug it in or if you have WIFI in the car.
You can take phonecalls via bluetooth.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
And to answer your question the ZB does not have the hardware for the cellular connection. In my car the space where it should be is taken up with the sunroof controls. In other models I think it's used for storing your sunnies.

TOBI Commodore 2018

Reaction score
Members Ride
No worries, that's all I wanted to know.

Do you think anything is happening if you plug a wifi dongel in the usb port of the car? I don't have one but I thought I should try it out if I come across one one day.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Anybody know why AA or CP needs a direct connection? Many cars have wireless charging pods for phones now and I find AA brilliant in the Z71 but the plug is annoying. Only plus is my phone is nearly always charged.

TOBI Commodore 2018

Reaction score
Members Ride
well, if there would be a way that you could put WIFI in the car that works with the Holden stereo then you don't need to plug it in anymore and you could get a wireless charging pad. That is also my question ;-)

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
well, if there would be a way that you could put WIFI in the car that works with the Holden stereo then you don't need to plug it in anymore and you could get a wireless charging pad. That is also my question ;-)
there is a website working on getting AA working wirelessly with Android phones https://forum.xda-developers.com/ge...droid-3-0-proxy-gateway-android-auto-t3813163 , where you use a cheap phone or a specific type of TV Dongle as a slave using its wi fi hotspot to connect wirelessly . It's a bit of a hack and because of all the variables not always succesful . They are working on making a universal dongle but that could be a while away

TOBI Commodore 2018

Reaction score
Members Ride
well, I have an apple phone ;-(, hope there is something going on soon to