Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worn driver side strut mount

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Just a question for the guru's.

I just had a pink slip inspection (RWC) done on my 10/2004 VZ Calais which has just clicked over 100,000 km's. They passed it but said that the right (driver side) strut mount was worn and producing up & down movement in the right front wheel.

Apparently, it is supposed to be a relatively simple job to replace the strut mount, but that it would need a new bearing as well. Common sense says if you did one side then you'd do both.

My question is considering the wear & tear, would it be more prudent & cheaper in the long run, to replace the whole strut (incl mount & bearing)? Also, should I tick with Holden parts or is there a better aftermarket strut that can be used that may be cheaper?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
I'm surprised not to have had any responses to this suspension question about strut mounts or found a link in FAQ's.

I'll just have to do some more hunting around some suspension places.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If it isnt broke, why fix it. Just pull the strut out and replace the bearing and the mount. Unless the strut has failed, then you can go about looking into replacing it.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
Personally I'd replace the struts too, esp as your car has done 100kms its likely they are still the originals and probably getting worn. Check the GSLRallysport forum, he does KYB excel shocks for around $150 each, which will be a lot better than genuine. I'd stick with genuine strut mounts and bearings though, I priced some up for my VY a while back and are around $70 a side complete.

Basically by doing both at the same time you are saving the labour and the cost of a wheel alignment if you had to do say the struts later, which is essentially $300 right there.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
After 100,000k ur front struts will definitely need replacing.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Thanks for the feedback guys. I went to Holden today for some advice.

They indicated if I was happy with the firmness of the ride then to stick with original Holden strut mounts. The tech advisor indicated that aftermarket mounts can stiffen the ride and some brands don't last too long before they flog out. My choice.

I figured that they've always pointed me the right way in the past so I left it with them. I also told them if it needed new struts to stick them in.

Well, it turned out the struts were fine, smooth movement & no leakage. Got out of it for a couple of hundred dollars and no risk of spring compressors leaping off & belting me in the head.

They kept the old ones to show me and they had certainly collapsed internally. Steering is now tight & firm like it was when I first got it.