Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worst holden sales in 70 years

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Holden has slipped to 10th place in the March sales figures:

Still early days but "While the Commodore found 990 homes, the all-new German-built version made up just 516 units"

Top 10 brands in March 2018

Toyota — 18,878, down 3.9 per cent

Mazda — 9723, down 7.2 per cent

Mitsubishi — 8810, up 16.2 per cent

Hyundai — 8443, down 3.0 per cent

Ford — 6687, down 2.4 per cent

Nissan — 6191, up 10.2 per cent

Honda — 5586, up 79.8 per cent

Subaru — 5195, up 3.8 per cent

Volkswagen — 5137, up 0.3 per cent

Holden — 5116, down 29.1 per cent

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/vfacts/sales-2018/vfacts-holden-falls-to-10th/2018-04-05/71401.html

http://www.news.com.au/technology/i...8/news-story/ad1ac141700b429db4ce651fd439cff0

Interesting Mitsubishi sales have gone up. The Outlander is very popular here in Tas. I see like 10 a day on my travels. Holden have tried and failed on it's version of the Rav and Outlander. Not surprising when it's a HOS. My bro in law has one for work and the heater core has recently burst in a car that's less than 12 months old. Motors mech's are going to be in trouble I suspect repairing it. I think there would be seldom few in the workshop who have replaced a heater core in any car.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Interestingly Commodore was leading in it's class here in NZ with 341 sales. I've only seen the police versions so suspect many of those will be police fleet vehicles.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Maybe we can associate the new commodore with the australian cricket team and send them further down the toilet

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
I haven't seen one on the road in Launceston. TBH I haven't even noticed any in the Motors yard and they are our Holden dealers....
The Holden dealer in Hobart has a couple, but the showroom looks half deserted with the VF's and the HSV variants now all gone. I took a look at the ZB the other day and didn't like them at all. I own a VF and a Mazda 6, so the Insignia should be aimed at me, but nothing about it appealed to me at all. I would take the Mazda 6 wagon over it any day and its certainly no future upgrade path to my Redline.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
The problem with the Camaro or Corvette is that they will only sell in small numbers and both will be identified as Chevrolets. Small numbers and a different make won't help to revive Holden's name or fortunes.
I recall a few years back that Chrysler/Dodge considered converting Charger to RHD for ANZ market, but concluded that while Falcon/Commodore were around, it would struggle to shift 1000 units. Seems they have not reconsidered this.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Motorsport Edition
For GM to save itself from oblivion in Australia, I genuinely believe that the 'Holden' brand name needs to die off with new car sales.

Holden is uniquely Australian and there is absolutely nothing of Australian origin on the showroom floor...so don't call it a Holden, what does it even mean now?

All spare parts have 'GM' on the box.

The general public know that some of the imported cars coming here are "Australianised" with minor tweaks here and there but stop bullshitting to them that this is an Australian car and brand.

Rebrand yourself as GM Chevrolet and let the public know Holdens can continue to be serviced. GM have done the dirty and removed manufacturing from Australia, the public was and still is upset but it's done now, it's a slap in the face to fool them and flog a dead horse.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
For GM to save itself from oblivion in Australia, I genuinely believe that the 'Holden' brand name needs to die off with new car sales.

Holden is uniquely Australian and there is absolutely nothing of Australian origin on the showroom floor...so don't call it a Holden, what does it even mean now?

All spare parts have 'GM' on the box.

The general public know that some of the imported cars coming here are "Australianised" with minor tweaks here and there but stop bullshitting to them that this is an Australian car and brand.

Rebrand yourself as GM Chevrolet and let the public know Holdens can continue to be serviced. GM have done the dirty and removed manufacturing from Australia, the public was and still is upset but it's done now, it's a slap in the face to fool them and flog a dead horse.

As far as I'm concerned, Holden died on the 20th of October, 2017.
We've been dealing with GM since then.....

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Maybe we can associate the new commodore with the australian cricket team and send them further down the toilet

Well Holden did tamper with the Insignia's badges when they thought no one was looking.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interestingly Commodore was leading in it's class here in NZ with 341 sales. I've only seen the police versions so suspect many of those will be police fleet vehicles.

In Tas the police fleet seem to be buying Hyaundai's.....