Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would upgrading my LS3 redline devalue it?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
And Walkinshaw VFs are still priced reasonably high on Carsales

Trying to get their money back!

If you feel you want to, do it. Tune and an OTR are easy to remove.

I'd you are only thinking about resale, its kind of like not having sex with the wife because you are saving her for the next guy...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I reckon something common like a Redline, but on which it's quite common to modify, you're not hurting resale enough to put you off getting mods if you want mods. I mean in 30 year's time it's maybe a bit different, but who knows what else can happen between now & then, even gambling petrol will still be around then is IMHO putting money on long odds.

Shorter term, as long as it runs as well as stock and isn't particularly extreme you should be fine; having a neat "factory" appearance under-bonnet is probably worth doing (eg. some CAI setups I've seen come with infill panels which make everything look like the factory had intended it to be there). I don't think the mods add value, so you won't get back what you spent on those mods, IMHO.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Don't get me wrong I am all for modifications and I really like the looks of the otr with the infills and the stock exhaust is just to quiet and of course everyone loves a cam and might as well do some head work and and and been down that road before once started hard to stop its also easy to go to far and wreck a good STREET car (been there as well). I'm sure otr and exhaust would be good for me and I promise I'll stop there

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Maybe ask yourself, "would I buy a car with a modified engine?"
Haven’t bought one with an un-modified one in as long as I can remember!!
I will add only if it was purchased solely as a non daily driver which is a total of 1 in the last 12 years haha.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Would upgrading my LS3 redline engine devalue it?
Generally speaking, engine mods won't increase value unless someone really appreciates what you've done or your modifications are what a prospective buyer intends to do themselves. With Holden's no longer in production, modifying the engine of a low km preservable example of the last build VF's I think will devalue the car in these circumstances.

What I did with my Aug '17 SSVR ute, is the 340 upgrade using genuine HSV parts, airbox, headers, engine cover, R8 Maloo mid pipe and custom tune. In my experience, modifications with factory like recognition doesn't devalue a car and tends to increase value. Aftermarket non-factory recognised modifications many consider bastardises the car to maintain optimum value.

If you're doing bolt on's and keep the stock parts, you can always return it to stock if need be.

Last edited: