Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

YA oil pressure sensor question: Which one to buy?

onca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Hi Commodore Lovers,

My VZ Failtec is getting the dreaded "check engine" error, my mates checker says it's the oil pressure sensor, now I'm getting intermittent "check oil" warnings even though oil level is good and no leaks, not running like a tractor, etc. (Don't worry I've been thru the sludge horror.. don't go there :mad:

So the good folks here recommend changing oil pressure sensor, no worries that's a job I actually can do.. trouble is, I also read there are 3 different kinds of sensor, and it's a crap shoot whether you get the "right kind". So before I go spending 80+ dollarydoos I wondered if there's a way to verify which sensor fits my engine and whether I'm getting the right one.

My engine: Early-'06 Alloytec V6 3.6L LEO (172Kw model).

The other thing is, prices on the net vary a sh*tload, from $9.95 to 100 bucks or more. Is there any real difference between them? (Besides some not coming with an o-ring). Oh yeah, and some joker wants to charge $15 postage, for a 26 gram item :mad:

Thanks ;)

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Go to Holden with your vin and you will get the correct one.
Even Repco may be able to give you the correct one with your vin.
May be even Super Thief or Autobarn.
And at least if it is not right you can take it back instead of stuffing around with the incorrect one being sent via post.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
YOU WILL NEED A SOCKET AS WELL

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Never heard they were any different, it's just a 3 wire pressure switch. I always use the AC Delco because you seem to get a few more K's out of them before they leak, rather than the really cheap ones.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Never heard they were any different, it's just a 3 wire pressure switch. I always use the AC Delco because you seem to get a few more K's out of them before they leak, rather than the really cheap ones.
Actually, thinking about it, I have to agree, cause when I needed one, I simply bought one from Coventry and fitted it no dramas.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Also not aware there are different ones.
I’ve always just got a $30 switch off eBay. Never had an issue on any car.

onca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I can't remember where I read about 3 different sensors, probably on reddit or whirlpool, Lol. But now I can buy with confidence. And I won't forget the 27 mm deep socket ;)

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Sparesbox say fitment guarantee, but that just means they will let you send it back if it is the wrong one and be prepared to jump through many hoops before they reimburse you for the incorrect part. If they actually work out which part is the correct part then you will have to pay the difference in the list price. Any specials that were offered at the time of original purchase are not valid anymore.
They really should do their homework before offering a fitment guarantee and when the customer does all the work to help them list the correct part, they should acknowledge the costs and inconvenience that the customer had to incur to help them. ie/ $100 voucher for future purchases.